2 losses Gurley not getting the ball

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
McVay took the ball out of Gurley’s hands. The September O player of the month, mind you.

Goff had an off day.

We surrendered FIVE turnovers.

Three strikes and you’re out!

We lost the game by 6 points. Sigh...

The End.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There were a lot of things that did not go well yesterday but in both losses the play calling went away from Gurley. He showed what is possible when he gets more touches, they have to feed him the ball 25 times a game to be effective. I love what Goff has done but I don't think he is advanced enough to carry the team and he didn't need to.

Additionally, I hate a game plan that gives TA touches in the backfield. I realize he had a couple of good plays but he is not the RB1 on this team and I would just as soon not see him in the backfield unless Gurley is gassed.

Wins Gurley touches 24, 33, 30
Losses Gurley touches 19, 16

16 touches against the FREAKING Seahags????? Not good enough McVay

Couldn't agree more on Tavon in the backfield. It was like McVay went & studied last years offense.

Why not give Malcom Brown the ball. He made some tough 3rd down plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Dallas game should be the blueprint with some adjustments each week but game planning more touches for Austin is a mistake if they are taken from Gurley.
Why's that? Austin scored and had a higher YPC. It's easy to second guess it now, but I maintain that the passing game - and the win - was there for the taking if the execution was on point. There were many times the receivers were open for big gains, but the ball placement was off. Clean that up, and there's no problem with going away from the run game (that Seattle was taking away anyway).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Why's that? Austin scored and had a higher YPC. It's easy to second guess it now, but I maintain that the passing game - and the win - was there for the taking if the execution was on point. There were many times the receivers were open for big gains, but the ball placement was off. Clean that up, and there's no problem with going away from the run game (that Seattle was taking away anyway).
Exactly. You take what the defense gives you by EXECUTING. I really think this team will grow from a ridiculous loss like this. From what I watched, the offense had their way with a pretty stout defense out there. Just need to tighten up a bit. It is FIVE games into a completely new regime and scheme change on both sides of the ball. Patience........is a virtue.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
This is my thought too. Even more on the receivers. Watkins didn't show up to play. I thought 3 plays he dogged it. Jareds throw was on the money on a mirror image Willie Mays catch on the right side line, and Sammy doesn't even put his arms up. The deep post I'll bet was right on the money...we'll never know. And there was a third throw where Sammy just jogged and didn't track the ball.

Then there was the final pass to Kupp. The more I saw the replay, that was a well placed ball. Kupp was blasted from behind well before the ball got there. I think he would have caught that ball. Pass interference. I think the refs were afraid to call that. I don't buy the thinking that "you let the players play" if it means you DON'T let the offensive players play.

Like you said, though, Austins carries worked. The game plan worked. It was player execution.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You give Gurley 14 rushing attempts in a game but most of those came In The first quarter when he was 7 for like 32. That’s almost 5ypc, very respectable so for the next 3 quarters you give your star running back less then 3 carries a quarter. That’s the only reason why the defense took away the run because McVay did it for them. Imagine how much more impressive the passing game would have been if McVay would have been more balanced in the run game

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't see Austin do anything the Gurley would not have done as well. He has shown his rookie year and in the SF and Dallas games how he wears a defense down and gets good production in the 4th quarter with more touches.

2 years from now and I think Goff will be tearing it up carrying the team but he isn't there yet and Gurley is.

Unless he is dinged up I think the offense needs to go through him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
McVay took the ball out of Gurley’s hands. The September O player of the month, mind you.

Goff had an off day.

We surrendered FIVE turnovers.

Three strikes and you’re out!

We lost the game by 6 points. Sigh...

The End.

And they almost won.

That IS encouraging right?

Why not give Malcom Brown the ball. He made some tough 3rd down plays.

That's a fair point however I think the play was designed to make the defense wonder if it was going to the edge with Gurley leading Austin.