#191 Rams draft CB E.J. Gaines - Missouri

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

5'10 190

Overview
Cornerback-running back who also played basketball and ran track as a Missouri prep. Played in 13 games as a true freshman in 2010 and recorded 26 tackles, one pass breakup and no interceptions as a special-teams player and reserve defensive back. Took over as a starting cornerback in 2011 and tallied 69 tackles, 16 pass breakups and two INTs with three tackles for loss and one forced fumble. The combined 18 passes defended set a Mizzou record and ranked fourth in the NCAA. Returned nine punts for 98 yards (10.9-yard average) and one touchdown, a 44-yard scamper against Western Illinois. In 2012, he totaled 74 tackles, 11 pass breakups and one INT with seven tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. Scored on a 13-yard fumble recovery against Kentucky. In 2013, recorded 75 tackles, three pass breakups and five INTs with four tackles for loss. In the SEC championship game against Auburn, he had an 11-yard fumble recovery for a TD. Missed two games with a quad strain. Team captain. Bench pressed at the combine but was medically excluded otherwise (pelvis).
Analysis
Strengths
Good muscularity and thin ankles. Fills aggressively and supports the run. Likes to hit. Plays with confidence and carries a swagger. Good attitude and football demeanor. Competes hard and brings energy to the field. Good eyes and route recognition. Has experience matching up with slot receivers in nickel coverage and has returned punts. Very good career production on the ball. Proven special teams coverage defender.
Weaknesses
Is short and short-armed. Plays a lot into the boundary. Shows some tightness in his hips. Average transitional quickness -- lacks ideal burst and acceleration to recover and close ground. Can do a better job disengaging from blocks. Most of interception production stemmed from tips and overthrown balls (not created). Average hands.
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
Bottom Line
Strong, physical zone corner with the toughness, awareness and football IQ to function highly in short spaces. A solid tackler, Gaines plays bigger than his size and takes a professional approach. Can make an immediate impact on special teams and work his way into a lineup.

Last edited:

Penguin.

Rookie
In my mock I had him coming to St. Louis in the 3/4 round. He is a complete steal in the 6th. He is a complete corner.

Slappy967

Starter
This is another one of those picks that I can see paying big dividends for us. Total value in the 6th when he was graded much higher then that.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He's fantastic value in the 6th. Our secondary is much better after this draft.

Wonderboy

Rookie
This guy will be good. I live in Columbia and am a huge MU fan. He was consistently a very strong tackler coming up from the secondary, the best on the team. Another thing he was best at, defending the pass. He was a very good DB for the Tigers and I think he has a chance to be a surprisingly good pro. This is a good pick by the Rams. Our defense is going to be good this year! Top 10 is a lock, top 5 is within reach in my opinion!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yeah, I feel like this guy just came straight over from the cattle judging competition or something. No idea... lol

I believe it means he has legs like a race horse or something like that. Haven't heard that one in a while.

RamBill

Legend
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

#Rams 6th-round CB E.J. Gaines is 5’10/190 with 4.48 speed. Zone CB. Helped hold Mike Evans to 4 catches for 8 yards last November vs. TAMU.

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Plenty left for Rams. They have 5 picks left _ a compensatory pick in Round 6 and four picks in Round 7.

Meanwhile, QB prospects all but gone. So Rams have now taken CB (Gaines), S (Alexander), and nickel (Joyner.) They have addressed secondary.

Gaines can play nickel or outside. Aggressive DB, did very good job against Mike Evans in Texas A&M game.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Gaines said most scouts brought up his performance vs. Evans. Said it’s “a little crazy” to him that he went in 6th and Evans went in 1st.

Gaines had a strong outing against Texas A&M’s Mike Evans.Evans had 4 catches for 8 yards in that game.Granted, Manziel wasn’t healthy then.

Gaines can take solace in fact that he won’t have to see Robinson coming to block him or Mason running at him in NFL. Except for practice…

Gaines made 37 consecutive starts to close his college career. Had 8 interceptions, 31 pass breakups in his career.

Ron Clements ‏@Ron_Clements

#RamsDraft with local flavor in the secondary. Two “local” guys – Alexander from #STL and Gaines from #Mizzou.

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm

Nice pick, Rams. E.J. Gaines will make the roster, but worried about him playing press man there. Hmm.

Alex Brown ‏@OS_AlexBrown

EJ Gaines in rd 6 is steal. Gaines is exceptional versus run, well trained corner in off & zone. Lacks elite transition speed but efficient!

St. Louis Rams @STLouisRams

Gaines on shutting down Mike Evans: “To see him go in the first round and to see me go in the sixth is a little crazy to me.”

Gaines: “I’ve been shooting pool, playing video games, just trying to keep my mind away from the TV.”

Gaines: “I’m ready to get out to St. Louis right now.”

Gaines on playing in the Edward Jones Dome: “I’m excited to get back in there and make some more plays.”

Gaines: “I’m still shaking a little bit right now trying to keep my calm.”

Gaines: “I’m in Kansas City, Missouri back home with my friends and family.”

Gaines: “There are very few people who get the chance to get drafted … I’m going to do whatever I have to to get on the field.”

Gaines: “I’m excited for my family and my friends to be able to come watch me play.”

Gaines: “It’s a blessing, especially to stay close to home and close to where I played college football.”

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
To the teams that passed on him... your loss is our Gaines.

Alan

Legend
You could really see the limitations of his size in the OSU game. Very easy to block and uses his shoulder to tackle (not always successfully) instead of wrapping up. Frankly, I see why he lasted until the 6th round. I still like the pick though. Especially in the 6th round.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Does anybody have a video of Gaines playing vs Texas A&M? Can't find one.