18 Pettis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
why is it that he doesnt seem to be getting love on this forum? where is he on the depth chart? is he even going to play? he just seems to be going under the radar in my opinion and im trying to figure out why. he seems to be a fairly dependable receiver thru i think four yrs? i know he isnt a "big name" guy but feel like he brings some good stuff to the table when he's on the field. just wondering?

Guy Mansworth

Rookie
I think people are just more excited about Quick and Austin. I haven't heard too much about Givens either. I personally think Pettis is a solid starter and a great redzone threat.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think he gets pretty much the same amount of active comments and praise that Proehl did. I think he's the same player.

Slushy

UDFA
I believe he is listed as a starter along with Chris Givens on the latest depth chart. Although, I am not too sure...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He's a starting WR2 right now.

But he's been out-drafted twice, last year with Quick, this year with Bailey. Actually, Givens jumped him already, so that's thrice out-drafted.

Pettis is not without skills, he's just not going to worry a defense. So ultimately he should end up as a WR4 or WR5.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
albefree69 said:
I think he gets pretty much the same amount of active comments and praise that Proehl did. I think he's the same player.

Edit: I think he'll get quite a bit of playing time and I believe he's the #2 rignt now. But having said that, like others I think it''s gonna be WR/RB by committee this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pettis isn't flying under the radar around here, my good man. In fact, he's been tagged as the most improved receiver during camp this year by a number of reporters. His first year (2011) was underwhelming due to the truncated offseason, new scheme for the QB, and general rookie jitters. Last year he improved greatly towards the end of the year and became a legit redzone threat. This year a lot of people look for him to become a continued threat inside the 20's, as he takes on a larger role in the passing game as a possession receiver (slot and flanker).

Big catching radius and fearlessness over the middle. I see bigger things for him this year.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X chimed in:
I see bigger things for him this year.
I agree with everything you said but I think the quoted part will only be true this year and others will pass him by next year and he'll settle in to the 4th or 5 WR.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X chimed in:
I see bigger things for him this year.
I agree with everything you said but I think the quoted part will only be true this year and others will pass him by next year and he'll settle in to the 4th or 5 WR.
Certainly possible. I think he's a better receiver than Gibson is/was, and I think Pettis can become our utility guy and play a big role on this team. Think Troy Brown. He spends an equal amount of time in the slot and on the perimeter, and that's a really valuable trait for a receiver. We know nothing about Steadman's ability as a NFL receiver, so I'm not convinced he's going to leapfrog Pettis this year or any year thereafter. But we'll see.

If he does, then bully for us, yeah? :tophat:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I be honest..... I'm not as high on Pettis as most around here. But, I will say it's like due to a cognitive bias associated with an old belief of mine that Salas would be a much better NFL player. :nono: :nono: :nono:

A55VA6

Legend
Pettis should be a big part of this team, especially making big catches on 3rd down and in the redzone. I like Pettis and I hope he continues to get better. I'm just more nervous about Quick. I just need to see more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i guess i just see him as dare i say, a veteran receiver, on this team. i think he could be good for 40-60 yards each week, which is more than i could say for a couple of the guys ahead of him. considering he's the 3rd or 4th receiver. and that is only based on his experience. of course, these young guys are going to have big games here and there but i see pettis as being one of the more consistent guys. that is of course if he gets balls thrown his way, which i definitely think he will.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Pettis. Look no further than his clutch 4th down circus catch on the game winning drive in Buffalo. Dude can play.

His distinguishing traits are his size and hands. He's going to get his number called, particularly in the redzone.

But as a starting outside WR, I look for more speed and build. I don't see Pettis as that guy. He's going to have a fine NFL career as a role player, IMO. Aint nothing wrong with that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He's definitely getting plenty of love here, I've been rooting for him for a while, I picked him over Salas two years ago. I think he gets talked about less here because he's pretty entrenched in his job.