18 Game Schedule or Expanded Playoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9301274/expanded-playoffs-18-games-mulled-roger-goodell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93012 ... er-goodell</a>

Cutting two games off the preseason -- either by expanding the playoffs or moving to an 18-game schedule -- is still being discussed, commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL's spring owners meetings in Boston.

He said all "[options] are on the table."

"As I have said before, I think the structure of the season is something that we consistently reevaluate," he said. "I have been quite open about [indicating that] we have to address the quality of the preseason.

"I hear from fans consistently that they want to make every NFL event more valuable. They see the preseason as being less valuable to them because they don't see the best players and the games do not count," he said. "We have to address that, whether we are looking at 18 [regular-season games] and two [preseason games] or 16-and-two and expanded playoffs."

When asked about playoff expansion, Goodell said the NFL has asked the competition committee "to look at it." He said there was "a lot of discussion" on the topic and the league had a brief report at the March owners meetings, but talks on the topic didn't happen Tuesday.

"We are going to continue to have more dialogue with the players' association, which is a big part of that discussion, and the second is with broadcast partners," he said.

If the league expands the playoff field or moves to an 18-game regular season, the date of the Super Bowl might have to be shifted back.

Perhaps with that in mind, Goodell said the league is "holding multiple dates" for Super L, which was awarded Tuesday to San Francisco, and Super Bowl LI, awarded to Houston, in response to a question about what the anticipated dates were for those title games.

A55VA6

Legend
As a fan, I'd like more games. But the players probably hate the idea. I know Chris Long does.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am a fan of doing something about preseason - but mostly just the cost of the games for fans.

This is what Goodumb misses.

It's not the 4 preseason games... it's the prices!

The 4 games allows time to evaluate fringe players. Take the games away... and the preseason turns more into a tune up for the regulars. How do you evaluate the rookies/fringe players if you can't play them?

Goodell just misses the point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And expanded playoffs?

For the love of god! That's what's wrong with the NHL dumbass!

In the NFL, the regular season means something!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
In keeping with my caveman-like ways...

Me want 2 more real games,,, and me want 2 less fake games.

I see this happening, might as well embrace it.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I actually like the preseason, but I don't see the need for 4 games. 3 would work better, first two to evaluate players, and the 3rd as a good workout for the starters before the regular season.

Put me in the 17 and 3 category.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
HE WITH HORNS said:
I actually like the preseason, but I don't see the need for 4 games. 3 would work better, first two to evaluate players, and the 3rd as a good workout for the starters before the regular season.

you may have something there because I think the best thing to do is for last week of the season is to have a playoff game like the fight for the last spot of the playoffs if they have the same record between Christmas and New Years

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Both the 18 games and the expanded playoffs are going to happen. Count on it. They will need to increase the roster size and the extra games will allow money for that along with extra tv revenues from the extra games and longer playoffs.

RG is trying to extend the interest cycle in the NFL to the max. That's why he is going to move the draft to sweeps month. He will make the NFL part of the national sports landscape and a topic of conversation the entire year. He wants that and so do the owners and guess what.....they're gonna get it.

The saturation point is a long way away IMO.

Lesson

Oh, really?
HE WITH HORNS said:

I'm down with this.

OR

If the NFL wanted to expand the game, play a preseason game in a foreign country Week 1 of the Preseason, bye week Week 2, games weeks 3 and 4.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]337253477979922432[/tweet]
[tweet]337324533914669056[/tweet]
[tweet]337260193689772032[/tweet]
[tweet]337324967433736193[/tweet]

nighttrain

Legend
A55VA6 said:
As a fan, I'd like more games. But the players probably hate the idea. I know Chris Long does.
NFL football even with new rulez, to violent for 18 games. Starters would be so banged up by the playoffs all teams would likely be playing with players from practice squad
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
nighttrain said:
A55VA6 said:
NFL football even with new rulez, to violent for 18 games. Starters would be so banged up by the playoffs all teams would likely be playing with players from practice squad
train

All that was said before when it went from 12 to 14 to 16. And when wild card teams came into the picture and more divisions were created to increase the amount of playoff games.

This is going to happen eventually even if every player in the NFL is against it. I can understand why they would be, but that isn't enough to stop "the machine". There is simply too much money to be made from this for it not to happen.

However if they were wise they would up each teams bye weeks to three. A one week break and then a two week break maybe. This would serve two purposes one being more rest and rehab for players and it would lengthen the season even more which is what the owners and RG want. Like I said they want to make the game part of the landscape for as much as the year as possible.

Personally I'm fine with more football. And there is no stopping the machine right now.

nighttrain

Legend
LesBaker said:
nighttrain said:
A55VA6 said:
train

All that was said before when it went from 12 to 14 to 16. And when wild card teams came into the picture and more divisions were created to increase the amount of playoff games.

This is going to happen eventually even if every player in the NFL is against it. I can understand why they would be, but that isn't enough to stop "the machine". There is simply too much money to be made from this for it not to happen.

However if they were wise they would up each teams bye weeks to three. A one week break and then a two week break maybe. This would serve two purposes one being more rest and rehab for players and it would lengthen the season even more which is what the owners and RG want. Like I said they want to make the game part of the landscape for as much as the year as possible.

Personally I'm fine with more football. And there is no stopping the machine right now.
with those bye's, two preseason games, 18 regular season games, and the playoffs, we'd have football all year round :cheese:
train