'16 Draft: The final rounds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
In the battle of white linebackers with poor measurables, Matakevich goes over Scooby Wright.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The Rams Southeast Scout earned his paycheck

or has a lot of clout

ChUecyPU8AAqEvZ.jpg:large
At least they only took one PAC12 player. They love their southern players.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hager was in fact active all 16 games his rookie year like McLeod and played only special teams because oh yeah JL55 only missed 7 snaps in his career with the Rams.

So maybe - just maybe - the coaches have a better idea if Hager is the backup for MLB they want longterm, than fans do - since we've only seen him playing MLB against 3rd stringers and the like in preseason. He might be - or maybe the coaches feel that another option is needed.

In fact, based on their pick, I'd say that was likely what they feel, while they apparently felt that the safeties actually available when they picked weren't what they wanted - at least not as much as other options.

I doubt if ANY of the safeties do as well as McLeod - but Fisher isn't a miracle worker, and trying to find a rookie after 200 picks who would do as well as McLeod first year is unlikely. But don't worry - this is a Fisher team. Next year they will go back to drafting DBs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So maybe - just maybe - the coaches have a better idea if Hager is the backup for MLB they want longterm, than fans do - since we've only seen him playing MLB against 3rd stringers and the like in preseason. He might be - or maybe the coaches feel that another option is needed.

In fact, based on their pick, I'd say that was likely what they feel, while they apparently felt that the safeties actually available when they picked weren't what they wanted - at least not as much as other options.

I doubt if ANY of the safeties do as well as McLeod - but Fisher isn't a miracle worker, and trying to find a rookie after 200 picks who would do as well as McLeod first year is unlikely. But don't worry - this is a Fisher team. Next year they will go back to drafting DBs.
It seems he's adding more of each position in the UDFA. We've signed several of each so far.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would hope they would do so - it's not that I wouldn't want FS upgraded from their options, it's just that with limited picks they have to prioritize things. Obviously receiving targets was the top priority, then trying to find whichever option they felt was most likely to upgrade one of their many holes in depth. It could have been a safety, but I understand that if Hager is the backup at a key position they might want to find somebody else to upgrade it.

I would expect a FS to be drafted next year, since they'll have more picks.