#13?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Gilbert has Patrick Peterson abilities. We need a FS more, IMO, but this guy is would be hard to pass up

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm STILL thinking we trade out of BOTH of our first round picks this year with Cleveland and get an extra pick or two this year and a first next year.
THEN we take Matthews and trade the extra picks this year to move back up with the second pick or not and net a first next year for basically moving down two slots and taking the guy we wanted anyway.

xander47

Rookie
I like how people disregard SLB to be a first round pick if they're only playing 50% of the time. While a third/nickel CB would be ok to draft in the first round...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like how people disregard SLB to be a first round pick if they're only playing 50% of the time. While a third/nickel CB would be ok to draft in the first round...

I think it has more to do with a couple things...we already have Dunbar at SLB, the SLB position is less valuable than a CB unless they are capable of rushing the passer, and the third CB in our defense was typically playing around 70% of the snaps last year while our SLB was around 50% of the snaps.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Simpy put, he's a physical press man cover corner who had a low completion percentage against him and happens to be a perfect fit in Greg Williams defense, IMO.

I thought Williams mixed up the coverage like Fisher does. The Rams played a fair amount of zone the last two years. Especially last year. I see Dennard as a press corner only and didn't think he has the versatility that Fisher seems to like. It will be telling which way they go. I'd be fine with either.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought Williams mixed up the coverage like Fisher does. The Rams played a fair amount of zone the last two years. Especially last year. I see Dennard as a press corner only and didn't think he has the versatility that Fisher seems to like. It will be telling which way they go. I'd be fine with either.

Williams changes his play calls based upon the talent he has to work but as I recall, his defenses in Tennessee, Buffalo, and Washington used an awful lot of man coverage.

I see Dennard as a kid who excels in press coverage, but can also play some zone.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Totally have to disagree with that assessment broseph. Dennard has the ability to play Press very well but also play zone which is why he'd be a great commodity as the #13 pick. Just watch with our front four plus a LB or two blitzing we will create awesome pressure. It's going to be a must in Williams/Fisher's defense to have CB's who can covr press or in zone. Janoris was horrid last year and Brandon Mcgee got caught a million times on PI and Defensive Holding last year and personally marched the other team down the field from penalties till acore. I 'd like to remedy that and with Fisher and Williams MO I think it's very likely we take Dennard or Gilbert.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Williams changes his play calls based upon the talent he has to work but as I recall, his defenses in Tennessee, Buffalo, and Washington used an awful lot of man coverage.

I see Dennard as a kid who excels in press coverage, but can also play some zone.
AMEN... it doesnt take much to see on film he can perform both at a high level.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Totally have to disagree with that assessment broseph. Dennard has the ability to play Press very well but also play zone which is why he'd be a great commodity as the #13 pick. Just watch with our front four plus a LB or two blitzing we will create awesome pressure. It's going to be a must in Williams/Fisher's defense to have CB's who can covr press or in zone. Janoris was horrid last year and Brandon Mcgee got caught a million times on PI and Defensive Holding last year and personally marched the other team down the field from penalties till acore. I 'd like to remedy that and with Fisher and Williams MO I think it's very likely we take Dennard or Gilbert.

[shrug]

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am not all that familiar with Williams per se. It would make sense that if he was a good coordinator that he be able to capitalize on the talent that he had to work with. I don't know what his specific preference is. I think it was a failed attempt to play a lot of zone 10 yards off the line. So, I am open to whatever works better. If the Rams are strictly looking for a third and fourth corner then using #13 on one is not as likely. They may push hard to trade the pick. I hope not. If they can improve on what they have then I am all for it. But the article on Trumaine not looking over his shoulder doesn't sound like they are looking for someone to take over his position....maybe they would do that to Janoris though and move him to the cover the slot?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I am not all that familiar with Williams per se. It would make sense that if he was a good coordinator that he be able to capitalize on the talent that he had to work with. I don't know what his specific preference is. I think it was a failed attempt to play a lot of zone 10 yards off the line. So, I am open to whatever works better. If the Rams are strictly looking for a third and fourth corner then using #13 on one is not as likely. They may push hard to trade the pick. I hope not. If they can improve on what they have then I am all for it. But the article on Trumaine not looking over his shoulder doesn't sound like they are looking for someone to take over his position....maybe they would do that to Janoris though and move him to the cover the slot?
It also makes sense that if we value to make his job easier we should get the players that would help his scheme work better wouldn't you say? If not I think we should just trade for Craig Dahl back and pick Justin King back up and hope since he is a good Defensive Cord. that he could coach them up and make do right?:hellno:
In any case I don't see us playing alot of 10 yards off and playing ' go ahead and get 1st downs at will' coverage. That was so dumb! lol
As I said before I see Tru handeling the #1 or #2 spot and our new pontential CB handeling the other starting spot. Jenkins would make a excellent cover CB which he'd probably be on the field like JRY stated about 70% of snaps. I like JJ but he is a crazy liability at a time where he should be playing his best not giving up PI's and touchdowns or huge gains. He talks and didn't back it up last season. Steve Smith ate his lunch.. as well as few others.