11/6 Rams Practice Report: Defensive Continuity Leading to Success

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/6: Defensive Continuity Leading to Success
by Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-116-Defensive-Continuity-Leading-to-Success/91dd3982-8c75-42d7-b84a-2689bcee6bc3#

It’s been nine quarters since the Rams allowed a touchdown, which is a nice feat for the defense. But that doesn’t mean the unit is where it wants to be.

Head coach Jeff Fisher said after Sunday’s win that 12 points in two games is too many. While that may seem a bit outlandish to the outside world, inside the building it’s a motivating mantra to encourage continuous improvement among coordinator Gregg Williams’ group.

“That’s what I want to hear, because that just means that he thinks we can do even better than we are now. And I think that’s true,” linebacker Mark Barron said. “That’s the mindset you want to have. You want to go out there and give your best performance. You want to try to be perfect.”

“I think it's just raising that bar every week,” defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. “With Gregg, we raise the bar every week. Even with the win he's getting on us about little stuff we didn't do right. He's very detailed, and I think that was just him raising the bar and not getting complacent.”

Part of the reason the Rams have been able to continue raising the bar defensively is because the unit is in its second year under Williams. Last year, it took a little while for the defense to get going, as its coordinator was new and needed to get familiar with the personnel. Now that everyone knows the expectations, it’s clear there has been a difference.

“It's been tremendous,” defensive end William Hayes said of the continuity. “We have two years with Gregg Williams and have been able to stick with one scheme and figuring out what we do well right now. Guys are playing at a high level. That's probably the difference between us now and last year -- the film studies are picking up and guys became pros. As long as we keep that up and grind every day and come to work, we're going to be fine.”

“We have a feel for each other and we’re more focused on what the offense is trying to do to us,” safety T.J. McDonald said. “That allows us to be a step ahead and be ahead of things -- a motion, or a shift, or things that we see on film, tendencies. We’re able to focus on things like that instead of focusing on what our job is and what we have to do.”

“Guys know what to expect from each other and what to expect from Gregg -- what he's looking for,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “The best thing about Gregg is he sees big picture. He says all the time that we haven't scratched the surface of what we can be.”

That mentality comes despite the fact that the Rams are ranked in the top 10 in many defensive statistical categories, including sacks (tied at No. 2), points allowed per game (No. 4), and total yards per game (No. 6).

“Where other people look and say we played pretty well against the Packers, we look at it as, ‘Why did we give up two huge pass plays?’” Laurinaitis said. “It's always this [mentality of], ‘We're doing well, but we could be way better.’ So I think everyone's buying into that, and I think it's true.

“There's nobody in here patting each other on the back,” Laurinaitis continued. “You might recognize good individual play -- guys like Michael Brockers who had a great game [against the 49ers]. But collectively as a unit, we don't sit around and say, ‘Oh gosh, we're doing a great job.’ We know we have to be the best defense on Sunday if we want to win the game.”

That’s why despite all the numbers and rankings, Williams can’t buy quite into the notion that the Rams defense has reached the so-called ‘elite’ status.

“When we get those kind of things, it’s kind of when the season’s all over and done with,” Williams said, adding, however, he’s encourage by the team’s progress. “When [players] take ownership -- and they are -- when they have say -- and they do … when they’re doing the same thing that I’m thinking about, then we have a chance to be really, really good.

“If they can stay healthy, and we’ve got to keep all of our guys healthy, they have a chance to really do it,” Williams continued. “We’ve had several nice weekends in a row -- hey, all that’s over and behind us now. We’ve got to go do it this weekend.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams have seven players on their injury report this week, but only one has been declared “out.”

Robert Quinn (knee), Will Hayes (thigh), Tre Mason (ankle), Chase Reynolds (thigh), Rob Havenstein (ankle), and T.J. McDonald (foot) are all listed as questionable. Only Quinn, McDonald, and Havenstein did not practice in at least a limited basis on Friday.

“Rob [Havenstein] didn’t practice and he’ll be questionable for the game with an Achilles,” Fisher said. “And if that’s the case [that he can’t play], then we’ll just plug people in. We’ve got young guys who know what to do.”

Chris Long (knee) did not practice this week and is out.

LONGACRE PROMOTED

With a spot open on the 53-man roster, the Rams promoted defensive end Matt Longacre from the practice squad on Friday. An undrafted rookie out of Northwest Missouri State, Longacre flashed in the preseason with 18 tackles, six quarterback pressures, and five quarterback hits. He’s been on the practice squad ever since, playing on the scout team and sometimes filling in on the D-line when the regular rotation players need a break.

“I had no idea they were going to do it,” Longacre said of his promotion. “Coach Fisher called me as we were walking out to do our walk through at around 10:30. He was like, ‘We're going to promote you to varsity,’ so I'm going to go make the trip up to Minnesota. I'm excited.”

It’s a start of another journey for Longacre, as he joins Ethan Westbrooks as the two Division-II college products on the defensive line.

“I've said it since day one, these guys gave me a shot when not a lot of teams would -- that D-II guy a little smaller than prototypical defensive ends,” Longacre said. “I have to prove them right. And that's my whole thing, is they took a shot and believing in me, now it's my turn to reward them with playmaking.”

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Starters Quinn, McDonald, Havenstein listed as questionable
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9c6eba30-959d-523a-947b-040279b91c0b.html

The Rams could be facing some difficult decisions between now and kickoff Sunday against the Vikings at TCF Stadium in Minnesota.

Friday’s injury report for the 4-3 Rams includes three starters —defensive end Robert Quinn, safety T.J. McDonald and tackle Rob Havenstein — listed as questionable. In the NFL, questionable generally means a player has a 50-50 chance of playing Sunday.

Defensive end Chris Long (knee) has been ruled out of his third consecutive game. Quinn (knee), McDonald (foot) and Havenstein (ankle) did not practice Friday and are joined as questionable by defensive end William Hayes (thigh), running back Chase Reynolds (thigh) and running back Tre Mason (ankle). Hayes and Reynolds were limited Friday, with Mason going through the full practice.

“We have young guys that know what to do,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after Friday’s workout. “We’ll just plug them in.’’

Eugene Sims would start for Quinn, and Eureka High product Maurice Alexander, a second-year pro, would start if McDonald is unable.

Gregg Williams, the Rams’ defensive coordinator, likes what he’s seen of Alexander, a fourth-round draft choice out of Utah State in 2014.

“He’s come a long way,’’ Williams said after practice Friday. “Last year, he couldn’t have a football discussion. ... That’s not any knock on him; here’s kid that only played one year as a defensive back in college. ... He’s done fabulous. We can have conversations now where I think I’m talking to one of his coaches, so he’s listening to his coaching and he’s got athletic ability that belongs in this league.’’

Alexander was in for seven defensive plays last weekend and had three tackles and a quarterback hit.

“The time I put in, watching film and learning and being healthy, too, it’s starting to pay off,’’ the 24-year-old said. “I feel comfortable in this system and I’ve matured. When I get out there, I’m looking to make plays. I love to make plays.

“Won’t know anything for sure until Sunday, but I’ll be ready to contribute any way I can.’’

At right tackle, the decision is far less clear-cut. Undrafted rookie Darrell Williams took eight late snaps in the 49ers’ game, but the team worked with multiple combinations in practice this week.

Like Alexander, Williams said it’s all about being ready.

Offensive line coach Paul T. Boudreau “preaches every week to prepare as if you’re the starter and it’s something we’ve definitely taken to heart,’’ said Williams, an undrafted rookie from the University of South Florida. “I make it a point of emphasis to be as prepared as possible every week just in case my name’s called. It was last week, and I felt like I did pretty well.’’

For the 5-2 Vikings, starting linebacker Eric Kendricks (ribs), starting defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (knee, ankle) and reserve defensive end Justin Trattou (foot) have been ruled out of Sunday’s contest.

Linebacker Anthony Barr (lower back) was a full practice participant for the first time this week and is questionable. Listed probable for Minnesota are center Joe Berger (chest), receiver Stefon Diggs (hamstring), defensive end Everson Griffen (neck), defensive tackle Tom Johnson (knee), linebacker Audie Cole (finger), safety Harrison Smith (neck), tight end Rhett Ellison (concussion) and tackle T.J. Clemmings (neck).

FISHER NOMINATED

Fisher, a longtime supporter of the military, is the Rams’ nominee for the fifth annual “Salute to Service Award’’ presented by USAA, the NFL’s official military appreciation sponsor. The award honors a league member who demonstrates exemplary commitment to honoring and supporting the military community.Each of the NFL’s 32 teams nominated a coach, player, staff member or alum. Finalists will be announced in January, and the winner will be recognized at the annual NFL Honors awards show in San Francisco on Feb. 6, the night before the Super Bowl.

With Fisher as head coach, Wounded Warriors have been invited to attend Rams’ practices and games. I addition, Fisher holds a training-camp practice each year at Scott Air Force Base.

Previous winners were the late K.S. “Bud’’ Adams, owner of the Tennessee Titans in 2011, Chicago Bears defensive back Charles Tillman in 2012, Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh in 2013 and then-Chicago Bears defensive end Jared Allen in 2014.

RAM-BLINGS

To fill the roster spot vacated by the suspension of RB Trey Watts, the Rams promoted DE Matt Longacre from their practice squad on Friday.An undrafted rookie from Northwest Missouri State, Longacre got the news as the team took the practice field on Friday morning.

“Very happy where I’m at right now,’’ said Longacre, 24. “As I’ve said from day one, these guys have me a chance when not a lot of people would _ a DII guy who’s a little smaller (6-3, 260) than your prototypical defensive end. They gave me a shot and I’ve worked to prove them right.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better situation. The guys on the D-line here have been extremely helpful. Just watching what some of these guys can do, it’s pretty cool.’’

An Omaha native, Longacre said that his father Mark will be there Sunday.

“Actually, my dad’s hunting in South Dakota, which is actually an easier trip than from home,’’ Longacre said. “It worked out great; his hunting trip ends Saturday and then he’ll come to Minnesota.’’

• Rams LB Akeem Ayers was fined $8,681 for a late second-quarter hit, called for unnecessary roughness for hitting San Francisco RB Mike Davis out of bounds. The 49ers’ Ahmad Brooks was fined $17,362 for a horse-collar tackle on the Rams’ Todd Gurley just before halftime.

• WR/KR Walter Powell, who starred at Hazelwood East and Murray State, has been signed to the Buffalo Bills’ practice squad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love the mindset and confidence. 12points is too many. That is the way a defense needs to think. Give up only 12 points to an NFL team and think that they need to play better.

If only the Rams had Gregg Williams equivalent on offense. Maybe they did with Mike Martz.