11/4 Rams Practice Report: Starting Faster on Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/4: Starting Faster on Offense

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-114-Starting-Faster-on-Offense/1d1043ce-a51c-4c68-8022-064a0793a338

The Rams have won their last two games by a combined score of 51-12, but that hasn’t stopped the club from being self critical in order to improve.

That goes especially for the offense. The emergence of running back Todd Gurley has certainly aided the production, as best evidenced by St. Louis’ 3-1 record since the running back became a starter. But as head coach Jeff Fisher has pointed out, getting first downs and third-down efficiency has to get better, especially at this time of year.

Having racked up only 104 first downs and 26 percent of third-down opportunities, there is some clear room for improvement. But with the Rams’ explosive plays, the offense comes in at No. 1 in average yards per carry, No. 3 in yards rushing per game, and No. 12 in overall yards per play.

Gurley, of course, has been at the center of those plays, having amassed runs of 52, 55, 48, and 71 yards in his first four starts. But the offense has gotten good explosive production from others as well. For instance, Tavon Austin and Jared Cook had receptions of 66 and 49 yards, respectively, against the 49ers.

But if there’s been one common theme over the last few weeks, it’s that St. Louis would like to start faster offensively. While opponents have outscored the Rams 40-19 in the first quarter, they have clearly been able to make adjustments. The team has outscored opponents 44-28 in the second quarter, and 38-16 in the third.

All of that encompasses the fact that St. Louis would like to get into a rhythm earlier in games. That, of course, is easier said than done.

“That’s something we’ve talked about this week because you’d like to start fast,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said Wednesday. “So, you look at the scheme. You look at the personnel. It’s something we’re evaluating every day.”

As tight end Jared Cook put it, the Rams must continue to build confidence during the week that on the first drive, the ball will end up in the end zone.

“A lot of times, it does take time for an offense to kind of adjust and see how the defense is playing, and see what they’re running,” Cook said. “But most of the time, you know what they’re running. Defenses don’t change. So I just think it’s all about going out there and making the plays work.”

While it’s not an excuse, some of the struggles have just come from the team still getting used to playing with one another. After all, St. Louis did promote a new offensive coordinator, import a new quarterback, and insert three new offensive linemen into the starting lineup for the start of the season.

“We’re still working, we’re still building,” Cook said. “Nick [Foles] is still learning us individually -- who we are, who our personalities are. And we’re going to continue to grow and get better at doing that. You can only simulate it so much in practice. The only way to really work on it is live games.”

To that end, Cook said the offense is continuing to jell the more Sundays they play together.

“Chemistry and timing is something that nobody can predict in the National Football League, and it’s hard to come by,” Cook said. “So that’s something that we’re all still working on.”

There has been clear progress, though, as evidenced by the club’s record. Cook credited Gurley’s emergence as a significant factor in that.

“To have a back who’s unlike anyone I’ve ever seen before with my own eyes -- it’s special,” Cook said. “It’s something that we have to take advantage of on offense. It helps open up the whole game collectively as an offense. But, you have to make it work in terms of stretching the field, pushing the ball down the field.”

And so as the season gets to its midpoint, Cook said he feels like the offense is growing and getting better together. Now it’s just a matter of putting things together and executing properly to start games by putting points on the board.

“It’s just about sustaining drives and starting fast from jump,” Cook said. “It’s knowing in everybody’s mind that lines up out there, we’re going to go right down and score.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams had a few players appear on Wednesday’s injury report. Chris Long (knee), Robert Quinn (knee), William Hayes (thigh), Chase Reynolds (thigh), and Rob Havenstein (ankle) did not practice. T.J. McDonald (foot) and Tre Mason (ankle) both practiced on a limited basis.

Though Havenstein was sidelined Wednesday, Fisher was optimistic on the right tackle’s possible status later in the week.

“We’ve got him immobilized right now. He’s doing much better,” Fisher said. “We’re hoping to get him back on the field on Friday. So, we’ll see.”

WATTS SUSPENDED

Running back Trey Watts has been suspended indefinitely for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. Watts’ suspension begins immediately.

Fisher said the team has not yet made a decision on who may replace the running back on the active roster.

COACHING CONNECTIONS

Before Fisher began his long career as a player and coach in the NFL, he played his college football at USC. And that’s where the Rams’ head coach first got to know current Vikings’ offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

“Coach Turner and I walked on the USC campus together,” Fisher said. “I walked on as a freshman, and he walked on as an assistant coach. So, I’ve known him for that long. He actually coached me early in my career. Then, when I moved over to secondary, he coached the defensive backs our senior year there. So, then we kind of went on. Then, crossed paths in 1991 with the Rams for a couple weeks. He was a receiver coach, and then he went on to Dallas as the offensive coordinator. So, we’ve been basically facing him or facing each other or coaching against him really since ’91.

“By the way, he didn’t know what he was talking about in our senior year at SC, because the other three guys are all first-round picks. So, Norv never had to say anything,” Fisher joked. “He just let us play.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“A lot of times, it does take time for an offense to kind of adjust and see how the defense is playing, and see what they’re running,” Cook said. “But most of the time, you know what they’re running. Defenses don’t change. So I just think it’s all about going out there and making the plays work.”

Oh you mean execution Cookie? Like, I don't know, catching the ball or something? :p

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notebook: RB Watts suspended, will miss rest of season
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_24c701e3-0cb6-5a0d-898c-c0b667ffb043.html

Just four weeks after returning from a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on substance abuse, Rams running back Trey Watts has been suspended for at least the rest of the season for the same offense.

Watts’ suspension, without pay, begins immediately.

“It’s really unfortunate for Trey,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday. “We have a program and the players have to comply with the program. Trey had an issue that cost him the first four games of the regular season, and then when Trey came back, Trey was good. The setback was something that took place before he was suspended, so it ends up being another positive (test result), so the league requires him to sit.

“Emotionally, psychologically and physically, he’s doing good. He’s on the road to recovery, if you will. We’re pulling for him, but we will be without his services for the remainder of the season.”

Watts, 24, originally was suspended in late May. He sat out four games and, after receiving a one-week commissioner’s exemption, he was waived and re-signed to the practice squad on Oct. 15. He returned to the active roster on Oct. 23.

Watts made his lone 2015 appearance Oct. 25, against Cleveland, taking part in nine plays on special teams and making a tackle. He was inactive for last weekend’s game, against San Francisco.

Signed as an undrafted rookie out of Tulsa in 2014, Watts appeared in 14 games as a rookie and showed some versatility and with 30 rushing yards on seven carries and 18 yards on three pass receptions. He also made nine tackles on special teams.

He led the team in rushing (24 carries, 98 yards, one TD) and was tied for second on the squad with eight pass receptions (for 58 yards) during the 2015 preseason.

Watts is the son of former Oklahoma quarterback and former U.S. Congressman J.C. Watts.

Fisher said that the team had yet to make a move to fill the roster spot. The Rams have plenty of depth behind starter Todd Gurley at running back with Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynolds on the 53-man roster and rookies Malcolm Brown and Zach Laskey on the practice squad.

VIKINGS’ LOCAL TIES

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer grew up in suburban Chicago, played at Illinois State and got his coaching start as a part-time defensive assistant coach under Warren Powers at Mizzou in 1979 and 1980.After college stints at Weber State and Washington State, Zimmer made the step up to the NFL in 1994 as a defensive backs coach with the Dallas Cowboys. After 19 seasons in the NFL and 35 in coaching overall, he made his head-coaching debut as the Vikings’ blasted the host Rams 34-6 to open the 2014 season. Minnesota went 7-9 a year ago and will enter Sunday’s game at 5-2.

The Vikings’ roster includes a pair of players with ties to St. Louis — backup quarterback Shaun Hill and rookie tight end MyCole Pruitt.

Hill, 35, was with the Rams a year ago and started the season opener, against the Vikings. In that game, he completed eight of 13 passes for 81 yards with an interception before leaving at halftime because of a thigh injury. He started eight games, completing 63.6 percent of his passes for 1,657 with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions. A 14-year pro who started his career with the Vikings in 2002 and re-signed with them in March, he has yet to play this season.

“I love Shaun. He’s very, very smart,” Zimmer said. “He comes to work every single day, does a good job. He studies. He does a good job preparing the other guys for the opponents. If he needs to go in a game, he’s really capable. He does a great job at practice.’’

Pruitt, who starred at Kirkwood High and Southern Illinois University Carbondale, was selected by Minnesota in the fifth round of this year’s draft. The 6-foot-2, 258-pound Pruitt has played in all seven games this fall and has three catches for 28 yards.

“MyCole is doing a great job, honestly,” the coach said. He’s very, very good in the passing game (and) we think he’s going to be an excellent run-blocker because of his lower-body strength. He catches the ball extremely well.... I think he’s going to have a really bright future in the NFL.”

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams practiced Wednesday without their top three defensive ends: Chris Long (knee), Robert Quinn (knee) and William Hayes (thigh). Also sitting out were T Rob Havenstein (ankle) and RB Chase Reynolds (thigh). RB Tre Mason (ankle) and S T.J. McDonald (foot) were limited on Wednesday.

Minnesota had five players on the sideline Wednesday: LB’s Anthony Barr (back) and Eric Kendricks (ribs), C Joe Berger (chest), DT Sharrif Floyd (knee/ankle) and WR Stefon Diggs (hamstring). Going through limited workouts for the Vikings were DE’s Justin Trattou (foot) and Everson Griffen (neck), DT Tom Johnson (knee) and LB Audie Cole (finger).

TE Rhett Ellison (concussion) and T T.J. Clemmings (neck) were full practice participants.

• Gurley’s game-worn jersey and cleats are now on display in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Gurley, the NFL offensive rookie of the month for October, ran 20 times for 133 yards, including a 71-yard TD, against San Francisco, becoming the first rookie in NFL history to rush for 125-plus yards in four straight games.

His 566 rushing yards in his first four starts are the most for a rookie in the Super Bowl era.

• S Matt Daniels, who played for the Rams in 2012 and 2013, has been signed to San Diego’s practice squad. Also signed to practice squads Wednesday were TE Matt Lacosse (Illinois) by the Giants and DB Brandon Dixon (Northwest Missouri) by New Orleans.

(Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.)

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I would like this offense to figure it out on third down. We need someone to step it up and sustain drives.

fearsomefour

Legend
“Emotionally, psychologically and physically, he’s doing good. He’s on the road to recovery, if you will. We’re pulling for him, but we will be without his services for the remainder of the season.”
This does not sound like weed to me.
I hope get himself right.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mycole Pruitt was on my wish list for the last draft to eventually become Cooks replacement when his contract is up.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They really need to get better on 3rd downs. I'm getting tired of punting all way into the 2nd quarter.

Alan

Legend
"But if there’s been one common theme over the last few weeks, it’s that St. Louis would like to start faster offensively. While opponents have outscored the Rams 40-19 in the first quarter, they have clearly been able to make adjustments. The team has outscored opponents 44-28 in the second quarter, and 38-16 in the third."
Cigs>Schotty.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
There has been clear progress, though, as evidenced by the club’s record. Cook credited Gurley’s emergence as a significant factor in that.

To have a back who’s unlike anyone I’ve ever seen before with my own eyes -- it’s special,” Cook said. “It’s something that we have to take advantage of on offense. It helps open up the whole game collectively as an offense. But, you have to make it work in terms of stretching the field, pushing the ball down the field.”

Love this quote from Cook. Hopefully they start passing in the middle of the field especially when those DB start crowding the LOS due to Gurley. I know people have been down on him but he is putting in a ton of extra work to try and help this team. Hoping he has a break out game in Minn this week.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Practice Report 11/4:
INJURY REPORT
Rob Havenstein (ankle) did not practice. “We’ve got him immobilized right now. He’s doing much better,” Fisher said. “We’re hoping to get him back on the field on Friday. So, we’ll see.”
WATTS SUSPENDED
Running back Trey Watts has been suspended indefinitely...Fisher said the team has not yet made a decision on who may replace the running back on the active roster.
Rams have Gurley, Mason, Cunningham & Tavon Austin as RB's I do not see the need to call up Brown @ this time.

With our main back up to starting OT GRob on the IR, the main back up to ORT now starting @ OLG in order to assist our starting issue prone OLT GRob, with our starting rookie ORT Havenstein immobilized & in a walking boot.......Me thinks it time to call up from Practice Squad OT rookie Isaiah Battle to get some experience working him in at the appropriate times over the second half of this season.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Sometimes, when I hear statements like "we're still learning each other" from QB/WR/TE groups, it makes me think they are not trying to learn how to be good players, they are just trying to learn each other's existing / natural skill sets & adapting to them. I watched a GSOT video the other day, and from a bird's eye view, you could see the all the Ram's WR's executing their routes, and then, in unison, turning their heads back to the QB as if they were ALL expecting the pass. THAT's team discipline, that's execution of an over-arching plan that guarantees that the defense has no idea who's getting the ball. It's one of the hallmarks of the GSOT that defenses had to account for absolutely every player on every play. Maybe, disciplined football had something to do with that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love this quote from Cook. Hopefully they start passing in the middle of the field especially when those DB start crowding the LOS due to Gurley. I know people have been down on him but he is putting in a ton of extra work to try and help this team. Hoping he has a break out game in Minn this week.

What I like about the quote from Cook is it hints at what the Rams are pushing internally. It means that most likely that has been the theme this week, that they know they need to stretch the field on this Vikings defense. They should be taking shots every game of course, but the Vikes are very reliant on their pressures up front for their back end play, so I do think we're gonna see some deep shots just like against the Cards.

Rams have Gurley, Mason, Cunningham & Tavon Austin as RB's I do not see the need to call up Brown @ this time.

With our main back up to starting OT GRob on the IR, the main back up to ORT now starting @ OLG in order to assist our starting issue prone OLT GRob, with our starting rookie ORT Havenstein immobilized & in a walking boot.......Me thinks it time to call up from Practice Squad OT rookie Isaiah Battle to get some experience working him in at the appropriate times over the second half of this season.

I'm with you Bonifay. As a matter of fact I have been worried for some time that Battle is going to get poached. That roster spot will hopefully go to him, as there just aren't that many guys with his raw tools. It would suck to see another team snap him up after the Rams lay that foundation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched a GSOT video the other day, and from a bird's eye view, you could see the all the Ram's WR's executing their routes, and then, in unison, turning their heads back to the QB as if they were ALL expecting the pass. THAT's team discipline, that's execution of an over-arching plan that guarantees that the defense has no idea who's getting the ball.

That's coaching. Martz laid it the F down in the passing game, plain and simple. Cigs is not in his class in terms of his passing game coordination IMO, but that's ok because he and his staff have done a good job with the run game and they have a horse along with depth at the position. And Cigs does do some good things with the passing game, not to mention there is still time for him to get this offense to come together.

This offense also just has different pieces. We don't have a Bruce, i.e. a masterful route runner. We don't have a Holt, explosive top WR with good size who can run very good routes underneath or take the top off. We have a better version of Hakim in Austin though. Different but just as explosive RB. It's just gonna take some more time for Cigs to maximize everyone's role in the entire scheme IMO, just like we saw with Williams and the defense last season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I was reading about how bad the 49er offense is this year(13.6 ppg) league worst. Here's some perspective on that.
The 2009 Rams offense scored 10.9 ppg. That was the Marc Bulger bludgeoning year, which brought us the Kyle Boller/Kieth Null 8 game stretch.
Josh Brown was nails as a passer though(1 for 1, 36 yds and a TD)...too bad he was our kicker.

The dark days indeed.