11/3 Rams Practice Report: Gurley, Peterson Headline Matchup of Strong RB's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/3: Gurley, Peterson Headline Matchup of Strong RBs

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-113-Gulrey-Peterson-Headline-Matchup-of-Strong-RBs/865ede14-cd0d-4d4e-afb2-b983e74c5472

Adrian Peterson has long been thought of as one of the best running backs in the league. While he played only one game in 2014 -- perhaps ironically against the Rams in Week 1 -- the 30-year-old has returned this season in top form. He’s currently No. 3 in yards rushing with 633, and has averaged 4.5 yards per carry.

But Todd Gurley will be on the other sideline, and he has been at least as equally impressive through the first four starts of his NFL career. The rookie out of Georgia already ranks No. 5 in yards rushing with 575, and on Sunday became the only rookie running back in NFL history to rush for at least 125 yards in four straight games.

It’s those performances plus his demeanor off the field that have earned Gurley the respect of his teammates.

“He's been our best football player on the field,” defensive end William Hayes said, praising Gurley’s work ethic. “He's a pro already at a young age.”

While Sunday will present a compelling matchup for spectators, Gurley said he’s staying focused on the task at hand.

“I’m just going to go out there and play like I always play,” Gurley said after Tuesday’s practice. “Try to play hard and get a win.”

As a 21-year-old, Gurley in many ways grew up watching Peterson, calling the Vikings’ back “the gold standard.”

“A guy as great as him, everybody is going to look at him and try to model their game after him,” Gurley said. “You can consider him the best.”

There have been plenty of comparisons with Gurley and Peterson, and the Rams running back said he can see why.

“We kind of have the same physique,” Gurley said. “He’s probably a lot more muscular. We both kind of run hard and don’t like to go down.”

Gurley’s teammates were similarly diplomatic when asked about the two backs on Tuesday.

“It's hard to compare,” defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. “My decision is biased because I love Gurley, like what he's doing now. But how do you go against AP who's proven and has the Pro Bowls? We'll see Sunday.”

“Peterson's body of work is unheard of,” Hayes said. “He's been dominating this thing since he came in the league. Gurley is starting off on a good path.

“In this game the older you get you need to realize that a younger guy is going to take that spotlight,” Hayes added. “If he stays healthy, we can probably see some amazing things from Todd Gurley. As long as he keeps grinding and stays the same as he is now, the sky is his limit.”

And so even though the two running backs will be a major point of intrigue all week, it’s Minnesota’s defense that has Gurley’s full attention.

“They’re definitely an extremely physical defense,” Gurley said. “They swarm to the ball fast. It’s not just one person that stands out. They have a lot of good players. Their safeties are hard-hitters. Definitely have to do a great job this week.”

SPECIAL GUEST

With MMA competitors in St. Louis for an event downtown on Friday night, legendary Georgia running back Herschel Walker attended Tuesday’s practice.

“Yeah, how about that? Obviously, he’s involved in the MMA. He’s still, actually, believe it or not at 53 years [old], he’s competing right now,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s got a couple of guys that are here in town that are competing on Friday night, so we invited him over. So, it’s kind of cool.”

“I’m really lucky I never had to tackle him,” Fisher added with a laugh. “That was a scheduling thing.”

Walker gave a small talk to the running backs after practice. Given that Gurley is also a Georgia product, it was a special meeting between the two.

“I think I talked to him over the phone, but I’ve never met him before,” Gulrey said, adding Walker told them, “good job and keep it up. It was good seeing him.”

Our Dani Kluppenger had a chance to catch up with Walker and Gurley after practice. You can watch what they had to say about one another in the videos on this page.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notebook: DT Fairley getting more comfortable, productive
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_16e6ab29-4334-506b-b6a2-1028895afbc5.html

Nick Fairley knew it was just a matter of time.

A former first-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions, Fairley signed with the Rams in the offseason, giving the team five first-rounders in its defensive-line rotation. With each game, the 6-foot-4, 308-pound Fairley seems to get a little more comfortable — and productive — here.

“Working with these guys, the rotation we have, it’s been great,” he said. “I’m used to playing the 4-3, but it’s always going to take some time to get a new system down, to get a feel for the scheme and how they want you to play in it.

“I feel great and I’m having a lot of fun.”

In Sunday’s 27-6 win over the visiting 49ers, Fairley was on the field for a season-high 33 snaps or 49 percent of the Rams’ defensive plays. He made a season-high six tackles and also contributed a quarterback pressure and a pass defense.

A week earlier, in a home win over Cleveland, he took 39 percent of the defensive snaps and chipped in with five tackles, a quarterback pressure and a fumble recovery.

“We’ve got depth, we’re moving people around and we’re still getting production,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said early this week. “Nick’s playing good right now. When he comes in to substitute for the tackles, there’s no drop off.”

Fairley, 27, has become a key member of a defensive line that features fellow first-rounders Chris Long and Robert Quinn at end and Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald at tackle. The team’s marquee unit also includes ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims and tackles Ethan Westbrooks and Doug Worthington.

“This group is one of the great brotherhoods of D-lines that I’ve been around. I’ve only been around two,” he said, laughing. “We still have to make strides, correct the little things from game to game, but we’ve been pretty solid so far and we’re still working hard to get better.”

When asked about his former team — the Lions, who finished 11-5 and reached the playoffs a year ago but are off to a 1-7 start — Fairley politely declined comment.

“I’m here in St. Louis,” he said.

GURLEY AGAIN NOMINATED

Another week, another batch of player of the week nominations for Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley.After rushing for 133 yards and scoring on a 71-yard run in Sunday’s 27-6 rout of the visiting San Francisco 49ers, Gurley is once again nominated for a pair of the league’s weekly honors.

For the third time this season, Gurley is nominated for the FedEx Air and Ground Player of the Week. Others up for the weekly honor are quarterbacks Tom Brady of New England, Drew Brees of New Orleans and Carson Palmer of Arizona and running backs Latavius Murray of Oakland and the Cardinals’ Chris Johnson.

Fans are allowed to vote through Thursday at 2 p.m. at www.nfl.com/FedEx.

For the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week, Gurley is up against Minnesota wide receiver Stefon Diggs, Tampa Bay linebacker Kwon Alexander, Green Bay cornerback Damarious Randall and Houston cornerback Kevin Johnson. Fans can vote through Friday at 2 p.m. at www.nfl.com/rookies.

It’s the fourth Rookie of the Week nomination for Gurley, who won in Week 4 after rushing 19 times for 146 yards in his first NFL start, a 24-22 win over the previously undefeated Cardinals in Arizona.

HERSCHEL WALKER VISITS

In town to help promote Friday’s Bellator MMA 145: “With a Vengeance’’ event at Scottrade Center, former NFL star Herschel Walker and a contingent from the MMA group visited Rams practice on Tuesday.After practice, Walker met with Gurley, a fellow University of Georgia star.

“A year ago, I told everyone — and people thought I was crazy — that Todd will be a better professional than he was a college player,,’’ said Walker, 53, a two-time All-Pro who won the Heisman Trophy in 1982 and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1999. “People were like, how in the world can you say that? I told them, if you watch the way he runs, you watch his work habits and you can tell that’s a good kid. He knows what he’s doing.’’

RAM-BLINGS

The following Rams were not seen during the pre-practice stretching session on Tuesday: WR Tavon Austin, T Rob Havenstein, DE Chris Long, RB Chase Reynolds, DE Robert Quinn and DE William Hayes. The week’s first injury report is released on Wednesday.

• Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline came and went, with no moves by the Rams. A year ago, the Rams acquired safety Mark Barron from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a pair of 2015 draft picks.

• Asked about Tennessee’s firing of head coach Ken Whisenhunt on Tuesday, Fisher said, “In general, it’s hard ... That’s part of our business, It happens all the time. It’s unfortunate, Ken is an outstanding coach. They’re playing a young quarterback (rookie Marcus Mariota and second-year pro Zach Mettenberger) and they’ve had some injuries. Those things happen.”

Fisher, who took over the Rams in 2012, coached in Tennessee from 1997 through 2010.

The Titans, who have dropped 16 of their last 17 games, were 3-20 overall and 1-6 this season under Whisenhunt, who became the second head coach fired since the start of the season. The Miami Dolphins fired Joe Philbin last month after falling to 1-3 with a Week 4 loss to the New York Jets in London.

• The Oakland Raiders cut WR/KR Walter Powell (Hazelwood East). In other Tuesday moves: San Francisco signed RB Pierre Thomas (Illinois); Oakland re-signed DE Shelby Harris (Illinois State) to their practice squad; former Rams’ RB Daryl Richardson was cut from the Houston practice squad; and G David Arkin (Missouri State) was released from the Indianapolis practice squad.

Some tryouts of local interest included: DE Glenn Foster (Illinois) with Kansas City; TE Matt Lacosse (Illinois) with the New York Giants; P Steve Weatherford (Illinois) with San Diego; TE Michael Egnew (Missouri) with Tennessee; and former Rams WR Greg Salas with the New York Jets.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fairley & Ayers played their best games of the year....Lets see what they do versus Minnesota....We'll need just as good, if not better, efforts.

Strange to see Greg Salas still trying to hang on to a team...Surprised to see Josh McD. not keep him in NE....

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley joins Mike and Mike to discuss how he’s adjusting to the NFL and why he’s had a fast start to his career.

Watch Gurley Interview