11/20 Rams Practice Report: Eliminating Explosive Plays

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/20: Eliminating Explosive Plays

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1120-Eliminating-Explosive-Plays/12312728-f013-4371-a1dd-1457a5ef738a

Last week, the Rams allowed touchdowns of 83 and 87 yards to the Bears. As you might expect, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was not pleased with those results.

“There was a little bit of a discussion going at halftime,” Williams said. “And there was a little bit of discussion going on the sideline.”

Those two plays, however, are particularly uncharacteristic of a defense that has been solid throughout the year. Prior to last week’s matchup, the Rams had allowed just one play of over 50 yards this season.

“You can't allow a simple curl-flat route to the side go 87 yards on you,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said this week. “You have to find a way to get them down and play another down -- limit those from being touchdowns.”

“The one thing that this group of guys has done a really, really good job on since I’ve been here is that there are going to be explosive plays in any game -- that’s what this game is about. But don’t let them score,” Williams said. “Give us a chance to play red-zone defense, give us a chance to play goal-line defense. And we didn’t get them down.”

“Plays that we wish we had back,” Williams added.

St. Louis still ranks No. 6 in total defense, No. 8 in scoring defense, and has the best red-zone defense in the league. But those two plays undeniably shifted the way the game went as a whole.

“You see that every game takes on an identity of its own,” Williams said. “And we had two plays in that ballgame that were very upsetting to all of us. And nobody makes a mistake on purpose, but we missed tackles on a two-yard pass, and we missed an assignment on a screen pass.”

“It still bothers everybody,” Laurinaitis said. “We have a bad taste in our mouths after that, but there's a lot we need to improve on this week.”

They’ll have to make those improvements against a Baltimore team that has done well with quarterback Joe Flacco. Though he’s often the subject of debate, the signal-caller still leads an offense ranked No. 10 overall, and No. 9 with its passing attack.

“He commands a presence out there,” Williams said. “They’ve taken some close losses, and he’s brought their team and kept their team in every game. We’ve got our work cut out for us.”

Flacco has completed 64.8 percent of his passes for 2,492 yards, with 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. And he’s doing it with a unit that has been ravaged by injuries.

The Ravens have 14 players listed on injured reserve, with key targets Steve Smith Sr., Dennis Pitta, and Breshad Perriman all out for the rest of the season. But young tight ends Crockett Gillmore and Maxx Williams have stepped up and made plays.

“You look at their offense and because they lost Steve and they've had some other injuries, that's the mainstay of their offense right now,” head coach Jeff Fisher said of the tight ends. “They just make big plays. It's impressive to watch.”

Flacco has also had to go through learning another offensive system, as Marc Trestman marks the quarterback’s third coordinator in three seasons. His previous two coordinators, Jim Caldwell and Gary Kubiak, both left to become the head coach in Detroit and Denver, respectively.

“Joe’s done a really good job of adapting to different coordinators,” Williams said. “He’s been going through that, and he still throws one of the prettiest deep balls in the league.”

“He’s done a very good job of adapting his skill set in a mixture of the last three coordinators who have been there,” Williams continued.

With last week’s contest the Ravens’ first after the club’s bye week, Laurinaitis said he noticed a minor shift in some of the offense’s tendencies on film.

“They came out after the bye week and threw it around,” Laurinaitis said. “Then the second half as the game was close they started running a little more.

“They run the ball similar to the way Washington does,” Laurinaitis added. “We've seen that. We tried to correct those things from that game going forward.”

But because Washington’s offense found success running the ball against the Rams, Laurinaitis said he thinks Baltimore may try to incorporate more of those elements this week.

“It's a copy and paste league,” Laurinaitis said. “I expect a lot of similar things with the two and three tight ends like they did against Jacksonville. I expect them to watch Washington and how they tried to attack us.”

It’s up to the Rams to limit those kinds of explosive plays this week.

INJURY REPORT

St. Louis has a shorter injury report this week.

Center Tim Barnes (concussion) was a full participant on Friday and is listed as probable.

Defensive end Chris Long (knee) was a full participant as well, and he’s listed as questionable. Robert Quinn (hip) was a limited participant in Friday’s session, and is also listed as questionable. Tight end Justice Cunningham was a new addition to the report on Friday, participating on a limited basis, and is listed as questionable.

Right tackle Rob Havenstein did not practice all week and is listed as doubtful.

DEFENDING A FAMILIAR FACE

Earlier this season, the Rams traded wide receiver Chris Givens to the Ravens for a future draft pick. With all the injuries Baltimore has had to overcome, Givens is contributing at a significant level. He’s caught 10 passes for 143 yards and a touchdown so far in Baltimore.

“He’s fit in well,” Ravens head coach John Harbaugh said this week. “He’s a hard-working guy and that’s credit to how he’s been brought up in the league here. Got some talent and we like him.”

Given the familiarity between the wideout and the Rams’ cornerbacks, there should be some good matchups on the outside this weekend.

“He knows my game too,” cornerback Trumaine Johnson said. “It's going to be fun. We have a tough matchup. Him and [Kamar] Aiken are over there, they're both over there with Steve Smith going out -- they stepped up big time.”

Wide receiver Tavon Austin is also looking forward to seeing Givens, as the two still keep in contact.

“We’ll definitely send a text here and there, good luck text, or I saw your play or something like that,” Austin said, adding he’s going to take Givens his forgotten socks. “Memories, just a little bit of memories, that’s all.”

But Austin said the receivers’ reunion will have to wait until the matchup is finished.

“It’s business -- he knows how I am,” Austin said with a laugh. “I won’t be talking to him before the game.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chris Long, Robert Quinn questionable for Sunday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ris-long-robert-quinn-questionable-for-sunday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams once again will have some decisions to make at defensive end before Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens.

After Friday's practice, the Rams listed ends Chris Long (knee) and Robert Quinn (hip) as questionable for Sunday. Long has made progress in his return from the week 5 knee injury he suffered against Green Bay and was able to practice for most of the week. Rams coach Jeff Fisher was optimistic about Long but did not commit to his playing against the Ravens.

Long's availability might be related to what happens with Quinn, who returned to practice Friday after being listed as a non-participant on Wednesday and Thursday. Still, Long hasn't played in a while and this is his first week of practice so it's possible the Rams could be cautious with him.

Just as pressing is the situation with right tackle Rob Havenstein, who is listed as doubtful because of a calf injury. Havenstein did not practice all week and could miss his second game in three weeks. If that's the case, the Rams will likely plug rookies Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann into the starting lineup.

The Rams also added tight end Justice Cunningham to the injury report Friday with a finger injury.

Here's the full Friday injury report:

Doubtful: OT Rob Havenstein (calf)

Questionable: DE Chris Long (knee), TE Justice Cunningham (finger), DE Robert Quinn (hip)

Probable: C Tim Barnes (concussion)

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Do you think Jenks is counting his blessings that he doesn't have to face Steve Smith again? That last encounter left him as a marked man. I wouldn't be surprised to see SS send some love from the sideline.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notebook: Austin, Gurley return home for game in Baltimore
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e0b51a46-e731-5521-922b-cb25ccf402a7.html

The last time Rams receiver Tavon Austin played in front of the hometown fans in Baltimore, he scored on a two-point play in the final seconds to lead his Dunbar Poets to a 20-19 victory over Fort Hill to close out his prep football career with back-to-back-to-back state titles.

“Lots of great memories,’’ said Austin, who hopes to make a few more Sunday when the 4-5 Rams take on the 2-7 Baltimore Ravens in a noon game at M&T Bank Stadium. I’m “definitely looking forward to it. Just to go home and play in front of my family, a lot of people that don’t get to come and see me play out here. Growing up in Baltimore, I was Ravens fan, (so) playing one of my favorite teams growing up, that’s a blessing, too.’’

After starring at West Virginia University, the 5-foot-8, 176-pound Austin was selected eighth overall by the Rams in the 2013 draft. But he also had some pre-draft talks with the hometown team.

“They were definitely staying in touch,’’ Austin recalled. “I had a great meeting with them. The GM (Ozzie Newsome) is an awesome guy. I thought they were going to pull the trigger, but Coach Fisher did. I’m proud he did and I’m happy to be a Ram.’’

Austin will enter Sunday’s action as the Rams’ top receiver (30 catches, 305 yards, four TDs) and No. 2 rusher (28 carries, 255 yards, two TDs). He’s one of the top punt-return men in the league, averaging 9.4 yards on 19 returns, and also leads the squad with seven touchdowns, including one as a punt returner.

“The plan is to go in and try to have a good game, don’t do too much, just play my game and try to come out with a win,’’ said Austin, who grew up about 15 minutes from M&T Bank Stadium but never attended a Ravens game.

The Rams’ other top offensive threat, rookie running back Todd Gurley, also grew up in Baltimore as a Ravens fan. Gurley moved to North Carolina during high school but said he still has family in Baltimore.

Gurley, selected by the Rams with 10th pick in the draft last spring, has rushed for 709 yards on 130 carries and has scored five touchdowns. When asked about ticket requests from family and friends early in the week, the former University of Georgia star had his answer ready: “Stubhub.com. That’s all I have to say.’’

Austin is taking a slightly different approach.

“I don’t try to do too many people like that,’’ he said. “I’ve got my selected few (but) I just don’t answer my phone. That’s how I do it.’’

LONG, QUINN QUESTIONABLE

“I feel good, very happy with where I am,’’ Rams defensive end Chris Long said Friday after his second full workout of the week. "Other than being rusty, I feel like I’m in shape, so now it’s just a matter of being in football shape. I feel good.’’But will he play Sunday in Baltimore?

“I don’t know, we’ll see,’’ the eighth-year pro said after Friday’s workout. “You gotta ask ... it’s not my call. It’s whatever’s best for the team on Sunday.’’

Long suffered a fracture in a knee-to-knee collision Oct. 11 in Green Bay and has sat out the last four games.

“Like I said before, it’s not a ligament... The bone just had to heal from fracture,’’ he said. “It’s not going to be like last year when I came back and I was terrible. I was awful. So when I’m back, I’m back. I’m really excited to help the team however I can. And I just missed being out there.’’

Long, who returned to practice Nov. 13, played in just six games a year ago after suffering a foot injury in the season opener that required surgery to repair two torn tendons.

“I’m not the first guy to get hurt, injured. It’s frustrating,’’ he said. “It’s out of your control. When you’re hurt, you feel like you’re letting people down. You’re on the sideline watching your buddies play football.

“I want to do what I can to help us win. I just want to be out there supporting my brothers.’’

Coach Jeff Fisher sounded optimistic after Friday’s practice, listing Long, defensive end Robert Quinn (hip) and tight end Justice Cunningham (finger) as questionable for the game in Baltimore. Center Tim Barnes (concussion) is probable and rookie tackle Rob Havenstein (calf) is doubtful.

Quinn, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, was limited Friday. He was on the field for just 14 plays a week ago against Chicago and sat out the Ram’s overtime loss in Minnesota with a knee issue. Havenstein, who did not practice this week, missed the Minnesota game with an ankle injury and did not finish the game against Chicago.

Long “was full practice today, so we’ll see how he feels tomorrow,’’ the coach said. “But it’s good. Yeah, he’s had a good week.’’

For Baltimore, rookie tight end Nick Boyle (foot) is doubtful and guard Kelechi Osemele (knee) is questionable after both sat out Friday’s workout. Linebacker Elvis Dumervil (knee) practiced Friday and is probable. The Ravens also listed defensive end Chris Canty and linebacker Daryl Smith probable after practicing Friday. Both sat out Thursday for non-injury reasons.

RAM-BLINGS

At halftime Sunday, Ed Reed will become the ninth player inducted into the Ravens’ Ring of Honor. Reed, 37, was a nine-time Pro Bowl selection who was named first-team All-Pro five times. He forged a legacy as perhaps the most feared big-play safety in NFL history.

“Anytime you’re honored in any degree, you think about the people who helped you get there,’’ Reed said in a Baltimore Sun story that ran Friday. “That’s the best thing about it. You reflect on the people who held you together when things were rough and on the good times as well. There were a lot of good times.’’

The NFL defensive player of the year in 2004, Reed was with the Ravens from 2002 through 2012.

• Bears linebacker Willie Young, who came up with a fourth-quarter interception in last week’s 37-13 win over the Rams, also picked up a $17,363 fine for a roughing QB Nick Foles earlier in the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmm....Couple of thoughts....I didn't know that CLong broke his knee-cap...

I hope Case can find Quick & Cook....

I hope Quinn can take this week off and get healthy....Lets see if Hays, Westbrooks, and Sims can REALLY replace our 2 DE's.

I looked over those plays...That TE play was just a miracle...I mean, we just scored a TD and we give that up on 3 plays...

The RB screen...perfect execution...perfect call...and that RB is serious...I mean, I grabbed him on fantasy..didn't start him...and I find out he really runs a 4.4. I mean, he was hauling ass...

Thanks for posting rambill.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When I first read this I thought it meant on offense. All I could think was, "Wait. What?"

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Hmmmm....Couple of thoughts....I didn't know that CLong broke his knee-cap...

I hope Case can find Quick & Cook....

I hope Quinn can take this week off and get healthy....Lets see if Hays, Westbrooks, and Sims can REALLY replace our 2 DE's.

I looked over those plays...That TE play was just a miracle...I mean, we just scored a TD and we give that up on 3 plays...

The RB screen...perfect execution...perfect call...and that RB is serious...I mean, I grabbed him on fantasy..didn't start him...and I find out he really runs a 4.4. I mean, he was hauling ass...

Thanks for posting rambill.

Langford has been underrated but he isn't THAT good. He's had some incredible play calls go his way. I think he has talent but all this talk about him taking Forte's job is absolutely ridiculous.

lockdnram21

Legend
Do you think Jenks is counting his blessings that he doesn't have to face Steve Smith again? That last encounter left him as a marked man. I wouldn't be surprised to see SS send some love from the sideline.
This year Jenkins would put the Clamps on SS. #CLAMPSEASON