11/11 Rams Practice Report: Improving the Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/11: Improving the Offense

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1111-Improving-the-Offense/ffa3a5f4-184f-492f-af86-fd00f665c6c8

The Rams’ offensive struggles have been well documented, and the team signed wide receiver Wes Welker to help this week. Now comes the task of making sure everyone on the unit improves in order to achieve a better level of consistency.

“We’re not satisfied,” head coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday. “But, we just need a couple breakout games, and then we’ll get caught up. Not satisfied with the first-down production, and the third-down efficiency, and the points scored, but we’ll get caught up."

“We’re very optimistic,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. “We’ve got a great group of coaches. We’ve got a great group of players. We’re at the midway point. Our expectation is to move forward and play better.”

This is a unit that went through a bevy of major changes over the offseason -- starting with its coordinator. With the promotions of Cignetti and assistant head coach/offense Rob Boras, the additions of quarterback Nick Foles and running back Todd Gurley, and the shuffling on the offensive line, St. Louis’ offense has a completely different look than it did at this time last year. Given all the moving parts, there are myriad reasons why consistent production has been hard to come by through the first eight games.

As quarterback Nick Foles put it after Wednesday’s practice, the unit knows it has a long way to go, but it will likely never be satisfied -- even after a breakout game.

“Us as an offense, we come out here every day wanting to improve,” Foles said. “We’ve got a lot of young guys right now that are working every day. We’re improving. A lot of new personalities, so we’re just continuing to bond. We have a great team here that plays well together. I’m excited about where we’re heading.”
Foles said the team continuing to grow together should improve third-down efficiency. According to the quarterback, the unit has to be better at being in sync in those situations, as defenses have been mixing up their looks and coverages.

“We’ve been out-executed as an offense,” Foles said. “We’ve got to make sure we go out there and I have to be accurate with the throw, receivers do a good job getting out of their breaks. It’s a group effort as an offense.”

Staying on target with positive plays on first and second down should be a factor in that area as well.

“First and second down, staying inside of the sticks, not getting to third-and-seven plus,” Foles said. “The percentage of converting on those isn’t nearly as high as on a third-and-two/four.”

Fisher has talked about Welker’s third-down skills since the club signed the wideout on Monday, and Foles said Wednesday the veteran can help in more than just that situation.

“I think just adding him to the mix in general, just what he can do,” Foles said. “Just his ability to get open, his ability to play. Really his ability to impact the receivers will be great.”

“I think just having him in there to teach the young guys maybe how to run different routes versus different coverages, or little things he’s picked up along the way, or just the wisdom of anything is huge for those guys,” Foles added.

Some of that is already being realized, even in the short time Welker’s been with the team.

“Anybody that’s been to the postseason as many times as he has, and played under a veteran quarterback and a veteran system as much as he has can bring a lot of knowledge,” tight end Jared Cook said. “He’s a great veteran receiver. That guy has put up numbers in this league like it’s nothing. So whatever he’s willing to share, I’m willing to learn.”

And so while the team is optimistic the offense will get better, the unit knows it’s a matter of execution from everyone involved.

“We just have to keep going through this process and keep working,” Foles said, “keep fine tuning what we’re doing and eventually it’ll all click together and we’ll be ready to roll.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams had seven players on their injury report Wednesday, but there was good news to go with it.

Defensive end Robert Quinn (knee), right tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), safety T.J. McDonald (foot), linebacker Akeem Ayers (illness), and defensive end Chris Long (knee) did not participate in Wednesday’s session. Running back Todd Gurley also did not participate, but for a day of rest -- not an injury.

“I think Friday is going to be a really good day for us,” Fisher said. “Todd was just a rest day today. He needed the rest. He’ll be fine. I think we’ll see Rob on the field -- both Rob’s, No. 94, No. 79 on the field [on Friday].”

As for Long, Fisher said the defensive end is getting closer to returning from his knee injury.

“I think he’s ready to go out and run on land now, so could be a couple weeks,” Fisher said.

Running back Chase Reynolds (thigh) also appeared on the report, but was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Running back Todd Gurley gets a 'rest' day
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ng-back-todd-gurley-gets-a-rest-day-wednesday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley isn't a veteran but he's already getting treated like one.

Get the latest NFL injury news

NFLWho's out? Who's good to go? Who's questionable? We've got all the latest injury news from around the NFL. Injury Wire

Gurley did not participate in Wednesday's practice with the designation of "coach's decision -- rest." Of course, Gurley has been a busy man and considering he's still not even a year removed from his torn left ACL, a day off every now and then seems like a wise move. For what it's worth, Gurley did some work in individual drills before taking it easy during the team portion of practice.

Elsewhere on the injury report, the Rams were still without key starters as ends Robert Quinn (knee) and Chris Long (knee), tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), safety T.J. McDonald (foot) and linebacker Akeem Ayers (illness) also sat out. The Rams don't practice Thursday but Fisher indicated that Quinn and Havenstein should be back at practice Friday.

Fisher also said Long is making progress in his recovery but would probably return in the next couple of weeks or so.

Here's the full Wednesday injury report:

Did not participate: DE Robert Quinn (knee), DE Chris Long (knee), tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), safety T.J. McDonald (foot), linebacker Akeem Ayers (illness).

Full participation: RB Chase Reynolds (thigh)

RamBill

Legend
Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti talks about the Rams offensive progression, including Foles’ growth and third down conversions.

Watch Cignetti's Presser

RamBill

Legend
Quarterback Nick Foles talks about the Bears defense disguising coverages and the addition of wide receiver Wes Welker.

Watch Foles Presser

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Rookie DE Longacre enjoys productive NFL debut
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_64ba3495-8428-54a2-925b-0e3cd96c819d.html

Rams defensive end Matt Longacre fulfilled a lifelong dream on Sunday, playing in his first NFL game.

“Other than the loss, it was more than I could’ve ever expected or hoped for. Awesome,” the rookie from Northwest Missouri State said Tuesday, referring to the Rams’ 21-18 overtime loss to the Vikings in Minnesota. “It was good to get back out there on the field — it’d been eight or nine weeks since I’d actually been in a game (exhibition) — and then, to go out and make a few plays in the game, it was special.”

Signed as an undrafted free agent shortly after the NFL draft last spring, Longacre made five tackles, including four solos, and had a quarterback pressure in Minnesota.

“Matt was productive,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He got off some blocks and made some plays. He was good. I mean, you look at the tape and you’ve got three guys (Longacre, rookie guard Andrew Donnal and second-year safety Maurice Alexander, from Eureka High) that really haven’t played much and there were some redeeming qualities to all three.”

Sunday’s game capped a hectic few days for the 6-foot-3, 260-pound Longacre, a two-time Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association defensive player of the year.

Despite a productive preseason — he was among the team leaders with 18 tackles, six QB pressures and five QB hits — he was cut at the end of training camp and then re-signed to the practice squad.

On Friday, he was promoted to the 53-man roster. On Sunday, with starting defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn unavailable because of knee injuries, Longacre got his chance.

“I was headed out for the walk-through Friday when Coach Fisher pulled me aside and told me I was being moved up to the varsity,” the 24-year-old recalled. “Nobody actually ever told me that I’d be active on Sunday, but as I warmed up, I realized that it was go time.”

Adding to Sunday’s excitement for Longacre was having his parents, Mark and Kathy, on hand.

“My dad was on a hunting trip in South Dakota, so he was able to get there without too much trouble,” said Longacre, whose family is from Omaha, Neb. “My mom, it was a little more of a scramble. At first, she talked about taking public transportation, but I told her I’d pay for a flight and told her that she couldn’t miss my first game.

“She ended up making the trip with one of my high school coaches and his family, so everything worked out great. When we walked out of the tunnel, I was able to find them in the stands and give them a head-nod, just like in high school and college.

“They’ve been with me through all the highs and lows and it meant everything to me to have them there for my first NFL game.’’

INJURY REPORT

The first injury report of the week for the Rams included six players who did not practice Wednesday — DE Chris Long (knee), DE Robert Quinn (knee), S T.J. McDonald (foot), T Rob Havenstein (ankle), LB Akeem Ayers (illness) and RB Todd Gurley (coach’s decision).

The report also included RB Chase Reynolds (thigh), who was a full participant in practice.

In spite of Wednesday’s report, Fisher is optimistic.

“I think Friday is going to be a really good day for us,” he said following the workout at Rams Park. “Todd was just a rest day today. He needed the rest; he’ll be fine. I think we’ll see Rob, both Robs — No. 94 (Quinn) and No. 79 (Havenstein) — on the field.’’

Starters Quinn, Havenstein, McDonald and Long missed last weekend’s game.

The Rams face Chicago on Sunday and the Bears practiced Wednesday without WR Eddie Royal (knee), LB Pernell McPhee (knee), S Antrel Rolle (ankle) and K Robbie Gould (illness). Going through limited workouts were RB Matt Forte (knee), C Hroniss Grasu (neck), T Jermon Bushrod (shoulder) and LB Shea McClellin (knee).

Forte, Royal, Grasu and McClellin all sat out Chicago’s 22-19 win in San Diego on Monday night.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams announced that U.S. Army war hero Daniel Rodriguez, a wide receiver who walked on at Clemson and who was in training camp with the Rams this year, will return as an honorary team captain for Sunday’s game, at noon at Edward Jones Dome.

Rodriguez, 27, earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his heroism in the Battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan in October 2009. He was signed by the Rams after a tryout.

In the preseason, the 5-foot-8, 180-pounder caught two passes for 10 yards. He also averaged 23.7 yards on seven kickoff returns and 4.8 yards on six punt returns.

• With the first wave of fan voting for the Pro Bowl received, the Rams have a pair of players —Gurley and second-year defensive tackle Aaron Donald — in second place at their respective positions. Gurley, the top rookie vote-getter, trails Atlanta’s Devonta Freeman while Donald is runner-up to Cincinnati’s Geno Atkins.

• A day after clearing waivers after being cut by Cleveland, LB Jayson DiManche (SIU Carbondale) was signed to the Browns’ practice squad Wednesday.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope you are right but they have a top ten defense. I don't know how the John Fox pulled that off with that roster but he did it.
He is a good coach.
The Bears are funny because they have a top 10 D but give up 27 points a game (if my memory is right)....that says to me their should be turnovers to be had. Rams have to win the turnover battle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Practice Report 11/11: Improving the Offense

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1111-Improving-the-Offense/ffa3a5f4-184f-492f-af86-fd00f665c6c8

The Rams’ offensive struggles have been well documented, and the team signed wide receiver Wes Welker to help this week. Now comes the task of making sure everyone on the unit improves in order to achieve a better level of consistency.

“We’re not satisfied,” head coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday. “But, we just need a couple breakout games, and then we’ll get caught up. Not satisfied with the first-down production, and the third-down efficiency, and the points scored, but we’ll get caught up."

“We’re very optimistic,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. “We’ve got a great group of coaches. We’ve got a great group of players. We’re at the midway point. Our expectation is to move forward and play better.”

This is a unit that went through a bevy of major changes over the offseason -- starting with its coordinator. With the promotions of Cignetti and assistant head coach/offense Rob Boras, the additions of quarterback Nick Foles and running back Todd Gurley, and the shuffling on the offensive line, St. Louis’ offense has a completely different look than it did at this time last year. Given all the moving parts, there are myriad reasons why consistent production has been hard to come by through the first eight games.

As quarterback Nick Foles put it after Wednesday’s practice, the unit knows it has a long way to go, but it will likely never be satisfied -- even after a breakout game.

“Us as an offense, we come out here every day wanting to improve,” Foles said. “We’ve got a lot of young guys right now that are working every day. We’re improving. A lot of new personalities, so we’re just continuing to bond. We have a great team here that plays well together. I’m excited about where we’re heading.”
Foles said the team continuing to grow together should improve third-down efficiency. According to the quarterback, the unit has to be better at being in sync in those situations, as defenses have been mixing up their looks and coverages.

“We’ve been out-executed as an offense,” Foles said. “We’ve got to make sure we go out there and I have to be accurate with the throw, receivers do a good job getting out of their breaks. It’s a group effort as an offense.”

Staying on target with positive plays on first and second down should be a factor in that area as well.

“First and second down, staying inside of the sticks, not getting to third-and-seven plus,” Foles said. “The percentage of converting on those isn’t nearly as high as on a third-and-two/four.”

Fisher has talked about Welker’s third-down skills since the club signed the wideout on Monday, and Foles said Wednesday the veteran can help in more than just that situation.

“I think just adding him to the mix in general, just what he can do,” Foles said. “Just his ability to get open, his ability to play. Really his ability to impact the receivers will be great.”

“I think just having him in there to teach the young guys maybe how to run different routes versus different coverages, or little things he’s picked up along the way, or just the wisdom of anything is huge for those guys,” Foles added.

Some of that is already being realized, even in the short time Welker’s been with the team.

“Anybody that’s been to the postseason as many times as he has, and played under a veteran quarterback and a veteran system as much as he has can bring a lot of knowledge,” tight end Jared Cook said. “He’s a great veteran receiver. That guy has put up numbers in this league like it’s nothing. So whatever he’s willing to share, I’m willing to learn.”

And so while the team is optimistic the offense will get better, the unit knows it’s a matter of execution from everyone involved.

“We just have to keep going through this process and keep working,” Foles said, “keep fine tuning what we’re doing and eventually it’ll all click together and we’ll be ready to roll.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams had seven players on their injury report Wednesday, but there was good news to go with it.

Defensive end Robert Quinn (knee), right tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), safety T.J. McDonald (foot), linebacker Akeem Ayers (illness), and defensive end Chris Long (knee) did not participate in Wednesday’s session. Running back Todd Gurley also did not participate, but for a day of rest -- not an injury.

“I think Friday is going to be a really good day for us,” Fisher said. “Todd was just a rest day today. He needed the rest. He’ll be fine. I think we’ll see Rob on the field -- both Rob’s, No. 94, No. 79 on the field [on Friday].”

As for Long, Fisher said the defensive end is getting closer to returning from his knee injury.

“I think he’s ready to go out and run on land now, so could be a couple weeks,” Fisher said.

Running back Chase Reynolds (thigh) also appeared on the report, but was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.
Judging from what Fisher said, about Chris Long, I'm guessing he won't be back in until the Cinci Game. Bummer!!(n):(

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is a good coach.
The Bears are funny because they have a top 10 D but give up 27 points a game (if my memory is right)....that says to me their should be turnovers to be had. Rams have to win the turnover battle.

I have Fox in that upper tier of head coaches. He is what I had hoped Fish would prove to be in his second go round. Still time for Fish to make a statement this season but I will admit I am beginning to think those posters who kept calling him a .500 coach are going to end up being correct.

He simply cannot consistently field a good offense. Fox is a good example for Fish to aspire to... Strong defensive background but hires excellent OCs and lets them run it. He has had extremely good offenses for a head coach with his background.