101ESPN St. Louis audio: Youth movement

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[mp3]http://www.101sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Mike-Sando-INT.mp3[/mp3]

Mike Sando:

The St. Louis Rams entered their first season under coach Jeff Fisher with a starting lineup averaging 26.7 years old. That was eight months ago. At least eight of the starting spots figure to change over this offseason. The new starters are almost invariably younger.

As a result, the current projected starters average about one year younger overall even though 14 of them are eight months older than they were entering last season.

Some of the positions remain open for competition, but the trend is unmistakable. One of the NFL's youngest teams has gotten younger in lots of places. Seven of the 10 oldest players entering last season are no longer with the team (Mario Haggan, Quintin Mikell, Wayne Hunter, Rocky McIntosh, Steven Jackson, Robert Turner and Matthew Mulligan).

We can easily see the Rams' leadership putting its stamp on the organization in ways that make sense for the long term. It's tough to know in some cases whether the benefits will be immediate. There figure to be growing pains and a few disappointments along with the excitement that comes with developing dynamic young talent.

D'Marco Farr, Randy Karraker and I discussed expectations surrounding the Rams in relation to their NFC West rivals during our conversation Tuesday on 101ESPN St. Louis. We'll be talking Rams and the NFC West on Tuesday afternoons from this point forward. This will replace my Tuesday conversations with Bernie Miklasz on the same station. Bernie recently vacated his show. I'm looking forward to the new arrangement and to reconnecting with Bernie as he takes on an expanded role at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and its website.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/99150/101espn-st-louis-audio-youth-movement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... h-movement</a>

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The thing I disagree with Sando on is that there are no flaws in Kap and Wilson's game. I really think that at least against the Rams, Tree and McD will force them to stay at home more and we will see them forced to make the tough throws rather than just run when their guy is covered. We needed to get bigger and quicker in the middle and we did just that. The last thing those coaches are going to want to do - especially Har-crybaby - is to get their QB killed after they pretty much put all their eggs in that basket.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Can't wait to see McD put a hit on Kap.... de-Kap-itate his a$$.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I also saw Kap get rattled more than once against the Rams D last season. Two big instances that come to mind were the safety when he threw the ball away (disputed though it may be) and his errant pitch recovered by JJ for a TD.

Year on the bench or not he's still young, will get rattled and occasionally make bad decisions or execute poorly. Doesn't mean he's a poor QB but I'm not yet convinced he is without flaws. Same goes for the midget in Seattle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tortoise said:
I also saw Kap get rattled more than once against the Rams D last season. Two big instances that come to mind were the safety when he threw the ball away (disputed though it may be) and his errant pitch recovered by JJ for a TD.

Year on the bench or not he's still young, will get rattled and occasionally make bad decisions or execute poorly. Doesn't mean he's a poor QB but I'm not yet convinced he is without flaws. Same goes for the midget in Seattle.

I gotta say, your sig pic is the one thing I think I will miss this season. Sure hope someone steps up to get me over the loss of SJ.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
RamFan503 said:
Tortoise said:

I gotta say, your sig pic is the one thing I think I will miss this season. Sure hope someone steps up to get me over the loss of SJ.

Someone will step up. Just like someone will step up to fill Amendola's shoes. Right? Please? I hope...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
iBruce said:
RamFan503 said:
Tortoise said:

Someone will step up. Just like someone will step up to fill Amendola's shoes. Right? Please? I hope...

Yeah - I think we'll be alright at the two POSITIONS. SJ was just a lot more than just a RB in his last couple years here AND he was a monster on the field. Didn't hurt that I watched him in college and admired his play for the Beavs.