10 Observations from the Rams' June 4 OTA session

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

10 Observations from the Rams' June 4 OTA session​

The Rams' organized team activity session on Friday, June 4, was open to the media. Here are staff writer Stu Jackson's 10 observations from it. (Team reporter Sarina Morales contributed to this report.)

1) Leonard Floyd in attendance. The Rams outside linebacker was at the team's facility participating in the OTA session, working with assistant linebackers coach Thad Bogardus. Floyd previously did this with linebackers coach Chris Shula during practice last season, when Shula coached the outside linebackers. Shula sometimes works with the inside linebackers on the field in his new role; when that happens, Bogardus steps in and works with the outside linebackers.

2) We continue to see quarterback Matthew Stafford connecting well with wide receiver Cooper Kupp. During 7-on-7 drills, Stafford hit a wide-open Kupp over the middle.

3) While much attention has been given to Stafford-to-Kupp, was also another solid Stafford to Van Jefferson connection during 7-on-7 drills, similar to the May 27 session. Rams head coach Sean McVay praised Jefferson during his post-practice video conference with reporters Friday, calling the second-year wide receiver "a major bright spot this offseason" and someone who the team is "expecting very big things from" this year.

4) DeCamillis' energy as advertised. Rams kicker Matt Gay on Thursday described him as "super high-energy" on Thursday, and on Friday, DeCamillis was very vocal and energetic during special teams drills.

5) Tutu Atwell's speed on display again. In the first OTA session open to the media (May 27), Atwell used his separate at the line of scrimmage and corral a short pass from Stafford. On Friday, he connected with Stafford on a deep ball.

6) Defensive coordinator Raheem Morris hands-on. While it's expected and understandable given his title, it's still worth noting that Morris was very involved during Friday's drills, bouncing between the defensive backs, inside linebackers and defensive linemen.

7) Running back Darrell Henderson Jr. in action. It was good to see third-year pro participating in some drills Friday. When McVay was asked for a health update on Henderson during his post-practice video conference, McVay told reporters they expected Henderson to be full-speed by the time training camp comes around.

8) Undrafted rookie free agent signee Brontae Harris out of UAB had a nice pass breakup against quarterback John Wolford during 7-on-7 drills.

9) Second-year wide receiver Trishton Jackson, who made the Rams' 53-man roster last year as an undrafted free agent out of Syracuse, had a nice grab during 7-on-7 drills.

10) Offensive lineman and International Player Pathway Program addition Max Pircher was spotted working with offensive assistant Nick Jones during Friday's session. Given Jones coached offensive tackles – Jones' most recent position while playing in Italy – at one of his stops during his college coaching career, it's a natural partnership for one-on-one work as Pircher gets acclimated to the NFL.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Hopefully Joe DeCamillis can get the special teams playing well... all positive news at this stage.

dang

Legend
Re..

9) Second-year wide receiver Trishton Jackson, who made the Rams' 53-man roster last year as an undrafted free agent out of Syracuse...

I think he fills the WR6 slot this year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Re..

9) Second-year wide receiver Trishton Jackson, who made the Rams' 53-man roster last year as an undrafted free agent out of Syracuse...

I think he fills the WR6 slot this year.
What about Ben Skowronek?

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad Stafford is building a rapport with Kupp(sure hands). Although I’d like to hear Woods, Higbee, Jackson and Akers in the mix too.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
my bet is practice squad
train
Maybe but then there's a risk of losing Skowronek.

Trishton Jackson could also be a candidate for the PS.

I read the NFL may continue with the expanded-PS used last year (16 players?). I thought that specific designated Practice Squad players could be protected but others could be signed as per the old rules.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe but then there's a risk of losing Skowronek.

Trishton Jackson could also be a candidate for the PS.

I'll bet Skowronek beats out Jackson, IMO, they kept Jackson because of his size at 6-1, but Skowronek is taller at 6-3 plus Skowronek is a better special teams player and with Joe DeCamillis running the show, he'll have a say in the roster makeup.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It appears Special Assistant Nick Jones will be aiding new Offensive Line Coach Kevin Carberry. Jones was TE's & Tackles coach at Coastal Carolina for 5 years so I was interested to see which new Assistant's would gravitate towards the OL and it appears to be Jones.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'll bet Skowronek beats out Jackson, IMO, they kept Jackson because of his size at 6-1, but Skowronek is taller at 6-3 plus Skowronek is a better special teams player and with Joe DeCamillis running the show, he'll have a say in the roster makeup.
Agree. Think Special Teams will be a deciding factor for the final WR-spot; and could see Trishton Jackson on the PS.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seems like Floyd is hell bent to have another big season. Great to hear and see him out there working his game. With that big contract the fear would be contentment settling in but I don't think that will be a prob. He does have high end talent and room to get even better IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tutu Atwell's speed on display again. In the first OTA session open to the media (May 27), Atwell used his separate at the line of scrimmage and corral a short pass from Stafford. On Friday, he connected with Stafford on a deep ball.

Love hearing this. (y)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I feel he will either be PS or retained on the 53 as a ST player only.
Got it. Just would hate to lose him if he was placed on the Practice Squad.

Can see a couple difficult roster decisions. Usually 6 WRs and 3 TEs on the 53. The Rams could keep an additional player at either (both) positions but that would mean one less than typical at another position.

At WR, Woods, Kupp, D. Jackson, Jefferson and Atwell would seem set.

That leaves maybe just one spot for Jacob Harris, Skowronek, Webster and T. Jackson.

Some see Harris and/or Skowronek playing some TE but the Rams have Higbee, Mundt and Hopkins there.

I mentioned 12 players above. Should the Rams go with 6 WRs and 3 TEs, that means three of those twelve are not on the final 53; and possibly exposed to being picked-up.

I think these things often have a way of clearing-up because injuries and performance (good and bad) often make the roster decisions in early-September much easier than they appear to be in the June.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can see a couple difficult roster decisions. Usually 6 WRs and 3 TEs on the 53. The Rams could keep an additional player at either (both) positions but that would mean one less than typical at another position.

At WR, Woods, Kupp, D. Jackson, Jefferson and Atwell would seem set.

That leaves maybe just one spot for Jacob Harris, Skowronek, Webster and T. Jackson.

Some see Harris and/or Skowronek playing some TE but the Rams have Higbee, Mundt and Hopkins there.
I think the Rams prioritizing Special Teams in this draft means they have an eye to upgrade the bottom of the depth chart with ST players. Which means Skowronek will have an advantage over Jackson, assuming he shows well on teams.

I've mentioned this before that if you look at McVay's bottom roster decisions in previous years they have not been driven by teams like they were with Fisher. And that is why, IMO, our teams have slid a bit year to year. Looks to me like he realized this offseason that it wasn't just Bona (Bona was really bad of course). The WR6 this year will probably be a core teams contributor rather than a guy who has rotation upside. And so on across the roster for many of the positions outside of the tight ones like say DL.

dang

Legend
DJax may very well get hurt this year. For that reason I want the Rams to protect 7 WRs. I see Harris as a TE. I see Webster being replaced as a ST player. which leaves 7 WRs for the roster/PS.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just would hate to lose him if he was placed on the Practice Squad.

Me too. Then again, every team is trying to stash players on their PS… players from their own camps that are more familiar to them, potential-wise. Let alone claim and promote someone else’s cut player to their big league roster.

Every year I sort of worry about a player we cut getting picked up… but most all teams are in the same boat.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leonard Floyd in attendance is awesome! The scariest man in the NFL, Aaron Donald, crying at the end of the Greenbay loss, that really hit home to the entire team of how badly AD wants a championship. Everyone on this team is going to give everything they have and more this season. I bet we see an absolutely focused Rams team on both sides of the ball.