10 Observations from the Rams' final 2020 training camp practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
10 Observations from the Rams' final 2020 training camp practice

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – After each practice of Rams Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union, Rams staff writer Stu Jackson will share 10 observations from the session. Here are his notes from Thursday, Sept. 3 – the team's final training camp practice.

1) Wide receiver Cooper Kupp returned to practice today and went full-speed. McVay told local media after practice that Kupp "feels great" and that he was never concerned about Kupp's availability for next week's season-opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

2) If McVay's words to reporters weren't strong enough of an indication, Kupp had a spectacular over-the-shoulder catch in the back corner of the endzone during 1-on-1 drills.

View: https://twitter.com/ramsnfl/status/1301609193644765190?s=21

3) While cornerback Troy Hill was in coverage on the aforementioned Kupp catch, he deserves credit for nearly coming away with an interception later in 1-on-1s on a Jared Goff pass intended for tight end Tyler Higbee.

4) Today was a veteran rest day for left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

5) No practice for running back Darrell Henderson Jr. today. Henderson participated during the team's stretching warm-up period, then did some rehab work off to the side. McVay said after today's practice that "we're optimistic" about Henderson's Week 1 status, "but until he truly gets out there and is able to really open up and let it go full speed, (it would) be hard for me to say."

6) For proper contact context for the Kupp catch and remaining observations, players wore helmets but no pads today.

7) Wide receiver Josh Reynolds also had an outstanding over-the-shoulder, back-corner-of-the-endzone catch during 1-on-1 drills today.

8) As successful as Reynolds and Kupp were during one-on-one drills, wide receiver Robert Woods arguably looked the sharpest, corralling three straight touchdown catches at one point in the segment.

9) Rookie safety Jordan Fuller had a nice pass breakup on a Goff attempt intended for tight end Gerald Everett. Fuller has also created multiple takeaways in camp, so combined with his performance today, it wasn't surprising to see McVay mention him as one of the rookies who has "continued to shine" in camp.

10) Practice ended with various phases of special teams getting work in, including the field goal unit and practicing onside kicks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From the Podium: McVay, Donald on end of 2020 training camp

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Head coach Sean McVay and defensive tackle Aaron Donald each held video conferences with local media Thursday to discuss the conclusion of Rams Training Camp presented by UNIFY Financial Credit Union, among other important topics. Here are some of the highlights and key takeaways from those virtual conversations:

"(Cooper Kupp is) feeling great." – McVay

Wide receiver Cooper Kupp was full-speed after practice Thursday after sitting out the previous two days with leg soreness.

McVay said he was never concerned about Kupp's availability for the Rams' season-opener against the Cowboys.

"I think they're all so important." – McVay

Asked if there are any positions on the roster in particular he will be spending more time evaluating compared to others as this weekend's 53-man roster deadline approaches (1 p.m. pacific time Saturday), McVay placed equal importance on all them.

While certain spots are more experienced than others, McVay said "there's going to be a lot of good dialogue over this next day and a half or so."

"We feel comfortable. Those guys have done a nice job." – McVay

McVay is satisfied with the Rams' current depth at inside linebacker after getting the chance to see some younger players in action following Travin Howard's season-ending knee injury.

At the same time, the team is always monitoring players who become available after getting released by other teams – "if there's a way we feel like we can upgrade our roster, we'll always pursue those options," McVay said.

"There's things I wanted to work on personally, but I ain't gonna tell you guys what it was." – Donald

Even a two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year still finds aspects of his game he can improve, though Donald understandably didn't want to give away specifics to give opponents a competitive edge.

However, Donald did say he has learned a lot from defensive line coach Eric Henderson "as far as certain techniques, things I needed to work on as far as playing the run certain ways and when to take my chances, things like that."
Donald said he feels great with where he's currently at and healthy.

"That wide receiver, 12, has been making some real big plays." – Donald

While several young players have impressed Donald throughout training camp, the one player he specifically mentioned Thursday was rookie wide receiver Van Jefferson.

Donald believes that Jefferson "can definitely make a big impact in this league right away."

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Sounds like Goff has improved every day and Van Jeff too. My only concern is the offensive line at this point. I really like the depth on defense.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Sounds like Goff has improved every day and Van Jeff too. My only concern is the offensive line at this point. I really like the depth on defense.
Same but that depth is getting thin with the losses of Robinson, Howard, and now Lewis. Run D may not be better unless SJD takes a leap and Kiser/Young step up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Same but that depth is getting thin with the losses of Robinson, Howard, and now Lewis. Run D may not be better unless SJD takes a leap and Kiser/Young step up.

I share your concerns as well and have a feeling Lewis will opt for the surgery, if not now, before the season is over. Tough opening 3 games home against Dallas and on the road in Philadelphia & Buffalo, so let's prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Really hoping that solid vet MLB gets waived this week. I'm more then a bit concerned about Reeder being trotted out there again. Hoping that Kenny Young can play, we traded about a Pro Bowl corner for him after all...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Really hoping that solid vet MLB gets waived this week. I'm more then a bit concerned about Reeder being trotted out there again. Hoping that Kenny Young can play, we traded about a Pro Bowl corner for him after all...

Why would you be concerned about Reeder? He didn't play terrible last year. He actually played pretty solid per his PFF numbers. He was also ONLY A ROOKIE. 2nd season starting should help him and he should be even better. Bummed about howard tho, that guy was a tackling machine.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why would you be concerned about Reeder? He didn't play terrible last year. He actually played pretty solid per his PFF numbers. He was also ONLY A ROOKIE. 2nd season starting should help him and he should be even better. Bummed about howard tho, that guy was a tackling machine.

He lacks sideline to sideline speed. He’s not a thumper. More of a Drag down tackler.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He lacks sideline to sideline speed. He’s not a thumper. More of a Drag down tackler.

We'll see. I have faith the kid will be a pretty good player once it's all said and done. If he's been working on his craft and learning the playbook inside and out he should be a solid helper for Kiser.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
I realize its just 7-7 in shells, but that pass to Kupp...what's smaller then a dime?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm more then a bit concerned about Reeder being trotted out there again. Hoping that Kenny Young can play, we traded about a Pro Bowl corner for him after all...
Luckily camp reports have said that Young is taking snaps in Howards place so we don't have to worry about Reeder.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Why would you be concerned about Reeder? He didn't play terrible last year. He actually played pretty solid per his PFF numbers.
His PFF numbers are terrible.

9 missed tackles for a rate of 13.4%. Yeah he was a rookie and credit him for making the team as an UDFA but his play wasn't good last season. He might develop into a starter at some point but its not unreasonable to worry about him playing.