10 Key Quotes from Rams OTAs/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
10 Key Quotes from OTAs
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/10-Key-Quotes-from-OTAs/f3f04504-1cd9-4b42-821f-8e35ac151476

With the Rams OTAs wrapped up and the team off until training camp, here are 10 key quotes from players and coaches from the last three weeks of practices.

1) Head coach Jeff Fisher on when rookie Todd Gurley might play his first game.

“It’s hard to say right now. I can’t predict that,” Fisher said. “I know he’s doing well. He had a day off today [June 16] because he’s doing so well. He’ll be around. He’ll rehab with us during the break. We’re also going to give him his time off because he’s entitled to his time off to go home for a few days. We’re just going to see how he progresses. We have options, which are the PUP [Physically Unable to Perform] things and we just have to see where he is. If he’s not PUP-ed, then I think you could probably assume that he’s going to play sooner than you think.”

2) Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti on Nick Foles.

“Nick Foles, first off, is an unbelievable person -- high character, great leadership,” Cignetti said. :He does a great job in the classroom, great job in the locker room. He’s able to take the teaching from the classroom to the field. Every day you’ve seen that Nick has gotten better. [Rams quarterbacks coach] Chris Weinke has done a great job with him, has the whole group of quarterbacks working together. I love Nick Foles.”

3) Foles on a possible contract extension.

“As a player, you want to be somewhere and you want to play there the rest of your career,” Foles said. “This is where I want to be, but that’s why we have agents. My most important thing right now is just to continue to work with my teammates and continue to be the best player and person I can be, so we’ll see what happens. I want to be here. I love Coach Fisher and the staff and everybody in this building, so I’m very fortunate to be here.”

4) Chris Long on Aaron Donald’s development.

“He didn’t need to grow,” Long said. “For my dollar, he’s the best D-tackle in football as far as rushing the passer and being disruptive. He was like that Day 1 when he got here. He doesn’t need to grow. He just needs to stay at the same level and keep honing his skills. He was kind of a ready-made star.”

5) Cignetti on Tavon Austin.

“Tavon Austin’s a wide receiver,” Cignetti said. “I wouldn’t say he’s a change of pace guy. He’s a guy you can put out there every down and the defense has to recognize, ‘Hey, Tavon’s on the field.’ So, whether it’s running down-the-field routes, intermediate routes, short routes or manipulating him touches, the defense always has to be aware of where’s Tavon Austin.”

6) Barrett Jones on the center competition.

“I think it’s pretty open right now, from everything I hear,” Jones said. “We have three good candidates from what I see, and I think it’s pretty open, like I said. So we’re just out here grinding. We’ve been just rotating with 1s, 2s, and 3s all across the board. Different days working with different groups. So you’ve got to make the most of your opportunities, for sure.”

7) Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams on Nick Fairley.

“The thing that has been really fun for me to watch is the big eyes that he had when he came in and saw the talent in that room,” Williams said. “He saw all of a sudden, ‘Whoa. I’m going to have to compete for any time to get on the field with these guys.’ And he has done a remarkable job. It’s going to be fun packaging those guys up.”

8) Jamon Brown on squaring off against the Rams defensive line in practice.

“I think it’s going to help me a lot going up against guys like Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald,” Brown said. “I get to go against them now so I get to go through the growing pains and everything -- kind of get adjusted and acquainted to the NFL level. Who better to do against than these guys?”

9) Kenny Britt on what he wants to accomplish in 2015.

“There’s definitely more I can give, because there’s more I want to give, and there’s more that I want to do in my career,” Britt said. “I’m going into my seventh year, and I think I let myself down in the last six. And I have a chip on my shoulder this year, and I’ve got a lot to prove.”

10) Jared Cook on Foles.

“He’s everything that you want in a quarterback -- everything that you’ve always wanted,” Cook said. “He’s in the thick of it. He’s communicating. He kicks it with the guys, he jams out with the guys. He talks to the guys, he high fives guys, he’s out there grabbing balls one handed. It just feels like he belongs here. And it feels like he’s been here for a while, which is a good piece. It’s what we need.”

Last edited:

paceram

Pro Bowler
10 Key Quotes from OTAs
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/10-Key-Quotes-from-OTAs/f3f04504-1cd9-4b42-821f-8e35ac151476

With the Rams OTAs wrapped up and the team off until training camp, here are 10 key quotes from players and coaches from the last three weeks of practices.

1) Head coach Jeff Fisher on when rookie Todd Gurley might play his first game.

“It’s hard to say right now. I can’t predict that,” Fisher said. “I know he’s doing well. He had a day off today [June 16] because he’s doing so well. He’ll be around. He’ll rehab with us during the break. We’re also going to give him his time off because he’s entitled to his time off to go home for a few days. We’re just going to see how he progresses. We have options, which are the PUP [Physically Unable to Perform] things and we just have to see where he is. If he’s not PUP-ed, then I think you could probably assume that he’s going to play sooner than you think.”

2) Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti on Nick Foles.

“Nick Foles, first off, is an unbelievable person -- high character, great leadership,” Cignetti said. :He does a great job in the classroom, great job in the locker room. He’s able to take the teaching from the classroom to the field. Every day you’ve seen that Nick has gotten better. [Rams quarterbacks coach] Chris Weinke has done a great job with him, has the whole group of quarterbacks working together. I love Nick Foles.”

3) Foles on a possible contract extension.

“As a player, you want to be somewhere and you want to play there the rest of your career,” Foles said. “This is where I want to be, but that’s why we have agents. My most important thing right now is just to continue to work with my teammates and continue to be the best player and person I can be, so we’ll see what happens. I want to be here. I love Coach Fisher and the staff and everybody in this building, so I’m very fortunate to be here.”

4) Chris Long on Aaron Donald’s development.

“He didn’t need to grow,” Long said. “For my dollar, he’s the best D-tackle in football as far as rushing the passer and being disruptive. He was like that Day 1 when he got here. He doesn’t need to grow. He just needs to stay at the same level and keep honing his skills. He was kind of a ready-made star.”

5) Cignetti on Tavon Austin.

“Tavon Austin’s a wide receiver,” Cignetti said. “I wouldn’t say he’s a change of pace guy. He’s a guy you can put out there every down and the defense has to recognize, ‘Hey, Tavon’s on the field.’ So, whether it’s running down-the-field routes, intermediate routes, short routes or manipulating him touches, the defense always has to be aware of where’s Tavon Austin.”

6) Barrett Jones on the center competition.

“I think it’s pretty open right now, from everything I hear,” Jones said. “We have three good candidates from what I see, and I think it’s pretty open, like I said. So we’re just out here grinding. We’ve been just rotating with 1s, 2s, and 3s all across the board. Different days working with different groups. So you’ve got to make the most of your opportunities, for sure.”

7) Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams on Nick Fairley.

“The thing that has been really fun for me to watch is the big eyes that he had when he came in and saw the talent in that room,” Williams said. “He saw all of a sudden, ‘Whoa. I’m going to have to compete for any time to get on the field with these guys.’ And he has done a remarkable job. It’s going to be fun packaging those guys up.”

8) Jamon Brown on squaring off against the Rams defensive line in practice.

“I think it’s going to help me a lot going up against guys like Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald,” Brown said. “I get to go against them now so I get to go through the growing pains and everything -- kind of get adjusted and acquainted to the NFL level. Who better to do against than these guys?”

9) Kenny Britt on what he wants to accomplish in 2015.

“There’s definitely more I can give, because there’s more I want to give, and there’s more that I want to do in my career,” Britt said. “I’m going into my seventh year, and I think I let myself down in the last six. And I have a chip on my shoulder this year, and I’ve got a lot to prove.”

10) Jared Cook on Foles.

“He’s everything that you want in a quarterback -- everything that you’ve always wanted,” Cook said. “He’s in the thick of it. He’s communicating. He kicks it with the guys, he jams out with the guys. He talks to the guys, he high fives guys, he’s out there grabbing balls one handed. It just feels like he belongs here. And it feels like he’s been here for a while, which is a good piece. It’s what we need.”

RamBill - Thank you (And, Myles Simmons!) on the above information! How can anyone be a Rams Fan and NOT be really, really excited about the upcoming season! There are so many Ram players (Foles, Gurley, Donald, Havenstein, Austin, Robinson, Ayers, Fairley, Mason, Quick, Barron, etc) that I can't wait to see how they perform this season (And, I am expecting great things from these and the rest of the Rams players!)! I have always been a Sam Bradford fan/supporter but I can't begin to explain how excited I am that Nick Foles is now the Rams starting QB and personally, I do hope the Rams can sign him to an extension (A reasonable one!) soon!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the quote from Jamon Brown! That's the attitude I wanna hear from a young lineman. Thanks for posting these.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
10) Jared Cook on Foles.

Sam didn't do this?

Seriously, I don't take this as a slant against Bradford, rather trying to make the new guy feel comfortable...Heck, I'd be all over a QB if I was a receiver...Dinners, whatever..to increase the targets...Smart guy that Cook.