10 dudes McShay thinks might not make it to the 1st round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Todd McShay
<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog/_/name/nfl_draft</a>

[espn]8691559[/espn]
uE2eP5m.png

1. West Virginia WR Tavon Austin: A dynamic offensive weapon with elite long speed, impressive body control and the ability to make cuts at full speed, Austin also shows the versatility to line up as a slot receiver or in the backfield and to return kicks. He's undersized (5-foot-8⅜, 173 pounds), but piling up 572 total yards in a shootout loss to Oklahoma created first-round buzz that has carried into the pre-draft process.

2. Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert: He could improve as a blocker, but Eifert has very good ball skills for a tight end. He extends his arms and snatches balls out of the air, and his size (6-6, 250) allows him to box out defenders and win 50/50 balls down the field and in the red zone. Eifert also runs hard after the catch.

3. Alabama OT D.J. Fluker: A massive (6-4⅞, 335) mauler who projects as an effective right tackle at the next level, Fluker can engulf defenders when working in the phone booth. His lack of mobility and foot speed can be exposed by speed rushers off the edge and conditioning could be an issue, but Fluker fights hard and flashes a mean streak.

4. Oregon G Kyle Long: A raw prospect with limited experience, Long has elite physical tools and plenty of upside. He has a long frame (6-61, 304), moves well, and shows strength and toughness. He needs to improve his instincts and awareness, but his skill set alone gets him in the first-round conversation.

5. NC State QB Mike Glennon: He has one of the strongest arms in the 2013 class, and Glennon's size (6-6¾, 220) allows him to easily scan the field from inside the pocket. However, his pocket mobility is limited and there are questions about his decision-making under pressure.

6. Syracuse G Justin Pugh: He started at left tackle in college, but Pugh (6-4⅞, 301) projects as a guard at the next level. He's a durable prospect with a good initial punch, the footwork to stay in front of pass-rushers and the ability to anchor against power. Pugh could get stronger overall, but he plays with an edge.

7. USC WR Robert Woods: He lacks elite size (6-1, 190), but Woods is sudden off the line and can eat up a defender's cushion quickly. He's also willing to work the middle of the field, is a decisive runner after the catch and tracks the ball well downfield.

8. Auburn DE/OLB Corey Lemonier: A productive player despite the extra attention he got as the best player on Auburn's defense, Lemonier (6-4, 242) has a quick first step, holds up well against the run and plays with a relentless motor.

9. USC QB Matt Barkley: He entered the season as our No. 1 prospect, but Barkley's lack of size (6-1⅞, 228) and top-shelf physical tools was exposed in 2012. He also lacks the elite arm strength to drive the ball downfield, but Barkley's smarts and ability to get the ball out on time and in rhythm make him a good fit for a West Coast offense at the next level.

10. Louisiana Tech WR Quinton Patton: A smooth, fluid route-runner, Patton (6-foot, 202) also shows vision and elusiveness after the catch. He looked good at the Senior Bowl, where he flashed savvy in his routes and solid body control and was strong in traffic.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: 10 dudes McShay thinks might not make it to the 1st roun

I think I've decided that my dream draft is Lane Johnson at 16, Vaccaro at 22, and Long in the 2nd.

I don't think that either of those players are there at 16, and Long will probably go in the second before we pick. Would make me a very happy camper though.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

They don't even make it to the 1st round? What is there a round zero now? After we traded for all those 1st round picks!? The league is fucking us again!!!

iced

We need to pick Austin.. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be something special. I think he will score the most TD's out of this draft class.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

iced said:
We need to pick Austin.. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be something special. I think he will score the most TD's out of this draft class.
Yup. If he's there at 22 (or even 16), I want the Rams to draft him.

PLAYMAKERS.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

iced said:

if he's anything like percy harvin he is a must pick for the rams. i just think fisher would rather have a safety in the first round instead of a wr. maybe he goes s/wr in the 1st round.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

X said:
iced said:
Yup. If he's there at 22 (or even 16), I want the Rams to draft him.

PLAYMAKERS.

Does he remind anyone else of Az Hakim? Only I think he has better hands. Just the shftiness is incredible on this kid. Would be very happy if we picked him up. Can add so much to the offense and special teams.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

bluecoconuts said:
I think I've decided that my dream draft is Lane Johnson at 16, Vaccaro at 22, and Long in the 2nd.

I don't think that either of those players are there at 16, and Long will probably go in the second before we pick. Would make me a very happy camper though.

Me too.

That sounds pretty good to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Lot's of Love for Tavon Austin on this board from many posters I respect very highly. Why do I get this bitter feeling that he slips down to 31 and the 49ers draft him and release Ginn? :grr:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

den-the-coach said:
Lot's of Love for Tavon Austin on this board from many posters I respect very highly. Why do I get this bitter feeling that he slips down to 31 and the 49ers draft him and release Ginn? :grr:
That would not make me happy. I never really cared for Ginn though - even after the Dolphins drafted him.
Austin would give this team an upgrade on TWO units. I just don't see how they could pass that up.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Love Austin, and I've been on his bandwagon since day 1, but unless Danny is not resigned I don't see us drafting him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

den-the-coach said:
I'll go on record saying that I don't think he's worth a mid first round pick. He's extremely talented, but he's a niche player, IMO. The only way that I would value him higher, is if we decided to let Amendola walk. I would never use a mid first round pick on a luxury, especially when we need so many starters.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

DR RAM said:
den-the-coach said:
I'll go on record saying that I don't think he's worth a mid first round pick. He's extremely talented, but he's a niche player, IMO. The only way that I would value him higher, is if we decided to let Amendola walk. I would never use a mid first round pick on a luxury, especially when we need so many starters.

This ^^^ Sorry guys. I'm not following the love either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Username said:
Love Austin, and I've been on his bandwagon since day 1, but unless Danny is not resigned I don't see us drafting him.
Yup. If Dolamite stays, there are clearly better ways to use those 1st round picks.
But. If he's still there in the 2nd...
That's a tough one.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

X said:
Username said:
Yup. If Dolamite stays, there are clearly better ways to use those 1st round picks.
But. If he's still there in the 2nd...
That's a tough one.

There's no way he's still there in the 2nd by the time we pick. I think he's well worth a 1st. I would love to see the Rams draft him, and give him his own section of the playbook (which someone like the Saints would prob do.)

Memphis Ram

Legend

Count me as one who believes that using a 1st round selection on Tavon Austin would be a horrible decision for this team. A 5' 8 1/2" 175 pound guy limited to being a slot WR? On a team with questions as to if they even have a #1 guy at flanker or split end? Makes no sense to me. Slot WRs are far easier to find.

Besides, I wonder if anyone has charted how many of his receptions and big plays have come from his actually lining up as a slot WR and running down the field on a pass route. I mean is it just me or does it seems like he's made most of his damage catching passes out of the backfield while lined up as a RB, going in motion and getting that touch/shovel pass, or on mere quick outs. :huh:

And it seems that they were almost always playing in a wide open attack, spreading defenses out with 4-5 WR sets. I don't believe we are going to see much of that on a Jeff Fisher coached team.

Austin gets all the talk, but it seems to me that his teammate Stedman Bailey might be the better fit. He caught just as many passes, but as a WR, averaged more yards per catch and had twice as many TDs as Austin.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Memphis Ram said:
Count me as one who believes that using a 1st round selection on Tavon Austin would be a horrible decision for this team. A 5' 8 1/2" 175 pound guy limited to being a slot WR? On a team with questions as to if they even have a #1 guy at flanker or split end? Makes no sense to me. Slot WRs are far easier to find.

Besides, I wonder if anyone has charted how many of his receptions and big plays have come from his actually lining up as a slot WR and running down the field on a pass route. I mean is it just me or does it seems like he's made most of his damage catching passes out of the backfield while lined up as a RB, going in motion and getting that touch/shovel pass, or on mere quick outs. :huh:

And it seems that they were almost always playing in a wide open attack, spreading defenses out with 4-5 WR sets. I don't believe we are going to see much of that on a Jeff Fisher coached team.

Austin gets all the talk, but it seems to me that his teammate Stedman Bailey might be the better fit. He caught just as many passes, but as a WR, averaged more yards per catch and had twice as many TDs as Austin.
Well, think about it. And this is only a "If Danny leaves" scenario. Now we do have a void at slot, yeah? Why not draft a replacement? We haven't had a decent kick returner since forever. Now we would have one. And for all the troubles that other teams have covering a Quarterback running free out of the backfield, why wouldn't we want to try and add that dimension to the Rams? You could motion him all over the place and isolate a favorable matchup while taking a defender out of play for our other receivers. And the only reason I advocate it at all is because (1) we might need a guy like that if Danny and the Rams don't come to an agreement, and (2) because Snead and Fisher LOVE playmakers. They favor freak athletes over "good fits", and said as much many times. Their objective is to coach those athletes into the players they want, rather than get players they may need and try to make them more athletic or explosive.

iced

yet to find a mock having Austin in the first round or early 2nd. I expect his stock to blow up after the combine and pro days, but if he's still there in the 2nd...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

iced said:
yet to find a mock having Austin in the first round or early 2nd. I expect his stock to blow up after the combine and pro days, but if he's still there in the 2nd...
If he makes it out of the 1st round, I don't suspect he'll make it very far. Again, though, (predicated on need) if DA doesn't stick around here, I suspect the Rams will find a way to get this dude on the team. He's a little undersized (a lot, actually), but then again, so was Dante Hall. And Dante Hall, in his prime, was a special teams nightmare. With salaries structured the way they are now, I think it's worth it to fortify one third of the team (ST) with a draft pick.

iced

Memphis Ram said:

Percy Harvin was 5'11 and 192. Definitely what people throw into as a "slot receiver." Who cares - the kid makes plays and you can see his explosive talent anytime he touches the ball. There is not a single player on this rams roster that has that explosiveness and elusiveness. Period. There are no playmakers - we need one. Givens has a some straight line speed, but not the wiggle.

Yea he does some catches out there that are past the LOS.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rBHNAnnrw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rBHNAnnrw</a>

Gotta dig through some highlights to watch some of them but they are on there. And yes I am talking some deeper routes and patterns. The kid has talent though; so use 'em the best way you can.